Andy Dalton‘s getting used to a new coach for the first time in his career

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
4256 Hits

Andy Dalton‘s getting used to a new coach for the first time in his career

Post by 4256 Hits » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:29 pm

Summer slow around here so here is a nice update on the team,
Andy Dalton‘s getting used to a new coach for the first time in his career, but more importantly, he’s getting used to a new way of doing business.

It’s natural that the Bengals’ offense is changing under new boss Zac Taylor, and that requires a new set of instructional techniques.

Via Albert Breer of SI.com, the Bengals have been installing their new system as a group — rather than particular positions — as Taylor tries to instill the concepts he’s bringing after his stint with the Rams under Sean McVay.

“A lot of times the quarterbacks get all that information, you know why you’re calling it, you know what you want it in,” Dalton said. “But now everyone’s getting that information. It makes it easier for guys to be on the same page, because they know why [a play] is called. That’s why it’s been really good. . . .

“The easiest way to play your best is to not have to think out there, know exactly what you’re doing, and just react and play. I think with this system — that’s how you want to play in general — but how we have this thing established is very much like Sean was saying. You make easier on all the guys to make sure that you can play fast. But the way you do it makes it look different for the defense.”

This is an important season for Dalton, as he can no longer depend on inertia providing job security. He has two years left on his contract, but no guarantees, so it will be on him to impress the new boss.

“Marvin [Lewis] had a great 16 years here,” Dalton said. “I think if you talk to any coach, and you say you could have 16 years in one place, anyone would sign up for that. So we lot of success with Marvin. But with Zac, obviously, he’s younger, and you can feel the energy level in the building. It’s been a lot of fun, from the meetings to the practice field, to everything.

“That’s not to say it wasn’t fun before, but that’s just the vibe we have right now. It’s been good. Guys are competing.”

And that includes the quarterback, who prepped for the competition by watching every snap the Rams ran last year, so he has a better sense of what Taylor is looking for.

stripesincarolina

Re: Andy Dalton‘s getting used to a new coach for the first time in his career

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:27 pm

I saw this article and at the same time read the updates from the Dotcom yesterday. It talked about how much Zac is raving about Hunter Sharp (who?) and his leadership on offense. Specifically how quickly he has learned the playbook and is correcting other WRs on the field when they line up wrong.

So that got me thinking that if Zacs new offense is so dang simple that a no name WR who was signed to the practice squad, and has never seen this system before, can pick this up so quickly then I'm a believer that our offense will be synced from Day 1. If this leads to players moving faster, running correct routes, blocking correctly and protecting Andy then Zac is a freaking offensive genius.

I still say the critical measures of success this season (other than points and wins) is whether John Ross has a breakout year and whether Mixon keeps pace with his AFC rushing leader stats from last year. If Ross is killing it you can rest assured that every pass thrown to Boyd and AJ will be huge and end up with big yards. If Ross is killing it we will be running 3 WR sets all day long and Mixon will have a field day. So much potential here. We'll see.
Last edited by stripesincarolina on Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:53 pm

it's june.

but i am starting to get a little excited :)

was just thinking about this yestereday..... in hindsight... it feels like marvin and co never let the players play.... i felt they the systems we were running here relied too much on the design and there wasnt enough "play" for the players.

sounds like this might be a little different... hope so. :)

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:50 am

In contrast, this comes from former Bengals Beat Writer and current writer for The Athletic Paul Dehner Jr
Cincinnati Bengals QB Ryan Finley 'looks bad' in practice, in the opinion of beat writer Paul Dehner Jr. 'There's just no way around it,' Dehner writes. 'It's still early, but not so early that we can't begin to wonder what is going on.'

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:57 pm

wonderful... so far we're on par for the season!!

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:55 pm

Jmble wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:50 am
In contrast, this comes from former Bengals Beat Writer and current writer for The Athletic Paul Dehner Jr
Cincinnati Bengals QB Ryan Finley 'looks bad' in practice, in the opinion of beat writer Paul Dehner Jr. 'There's just no way around it,' Dehner writes. 'It's still early, but not so early that we can't begin to wonder what is going on.'
He wasn't drafted in the first round as a starter. Good grief. He's learning the NFL, he's moving his life from North Carolina to Cincy, he's learning a totally new offense he's never seen before and we haven't even made it to camp yet. As long as he can sling the rock, not fumble a handoff and has some catchy one-liners to share with his #2's, I'm good with it.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:08 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:55 pm
Jmble wrote:
He wasn't drafted in the first round as a starter. Good grief. He's learning the NFL, he's moving his life from North Carolina to Cincy, he's learning a totally new offense he's never seen before and we haven't even made it to camp yet. As long as he can sling the rock, not fumble a handoff and has some catchy one-liners to share with his #2's, I'm good with it.
If that's all you want from our backup QB then you don't remember how the Bengals performed when Jeff Driskell was under Center.

However, like he says, it's still early. Not much makes news this time of year.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:37 pm

Jmble wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:08 pm
stripesincarolina wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:55 pm
Jmble wrote:

If that's all you want from our backup QB then you don't remember how the Bengals performed when Jeff Driskell was under Center.

However, like he says, it's still early. Not much makes news this time of year.
I left off two critical words at the end of my response....."for now". I absolutely expect a lot from him by the time we wrap up camp. I was hoping to make the point that its a bit early to be dinging a rookie QB for anything.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:21 am

stripesincarolina wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:27 pm
I saw this article and at the same time read the updates from the Dotcom yesterday. It talked about how much Zac is raving about Hunter Sharp (who?) and his leadership on offense. Specifically how quickly he has learned the playbook and is correcting other WRs on the field when they line up wrong.

So that got me thinking that if Zacs new offense is so dang simple that a no name WR who was signed to the practice squad, and has never seen this system before, can pick this up so quickly then I'm a believer that our offense will be synced from Day 1. If this leads to players moving faster, running correct routes, blocking correctly and protecting Andy then Zac is a freaking offensive genius.

I still say the critical measures of success this season (other than points and wins) is whether John Ross has a breakout year and whether Mixon keeps pace with his AFC rushing leader stats from last year. If Ross is killing it you can rest assured that every pass thrown to Boyd and AJ will be huge and end up with big yards. If Ross is killing it we will be running 3 WR sets all day long and Mixon will have a field day. So much potential here. We'll see.
Well this Hunter Sharp might have a good grasp of the WR position but honestly getting a grip of that shouldn't be too terribly difficult.