Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Exile

Re: Bengals Related News & Notes

Post by Exile » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:56 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:49 am
Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:18 am
You guys keep making excuses for him. There's a reason he keeps dropping these little hint-bombs in the press.

I have no doubt we're going to draft him and I also have no doubt he's going to sign.

But he's telegraphing his Carson Palmer like feelings.
Take it from a married man who's been trained to read between the lines. He's saying loud and clear... "Don't expect to just draft me and go on with business as usual Cinicinnati."

He's going to pull a Palmer sooner rather than later if this organization doesn't try and improve itself throughout his career here. He's not going to be content just playing in the NFL and picking up a pay check like Dalton seemed to be.

And one decent off-season is not going to be enough.
I read the article B1, no where is there any dbl talk. I'm not sure why ppl continue to push this narrative. We are not a bad franchise, if you look at the stats from 2004 on, we're one of the better in the league. Are we the best no, not by any means but we spend money internally taking care of our guys and we this off-season have spent money externally.

Personally I'm tired of ppl pushing this narrative and it's our own fans doing a lot of it.
Eh. I get what B1 is saying here. It's not so much "I don't want to play for the Bengals," because he's not saying that. But what do those comments show us about his state of mind if he comes in and we suck? Is he going to say, either directly or indirectly, "we're losing because of the organization [i.e. not me] and I want out."?

I'm also not saying that we're going to suck. I think there's reason to be optimistic about the direction we're going with the FA period we've had and the boundless potential that every draft brings our hopeful hearts. And then there's probably no problem with Burrow. But I do think I see B's concern, and it's not totally unfounded.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:05 pm

Exile wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:56 am
Eh. I get what B1 is saying here. It's not so much "I don't want to play for the Bengals," because he's not saying that. But what do those comments show us about his state of mind if he comes in and we suck? Is he going to say, either directly or indirectly, "we're losing because of the organization [i.e. not me] and I want out."?

But I do think I see B's concern, and it's not totally unfounded.

Yeah!!!!! Exile gets it!!!! :D

500 OSF points for not being obtuse!!! Be sure and visit the gift store on your way out....

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:41 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:05 pm
Exile wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:56 am

But I do think I see B's concern, and it's not totally unfounded.

Yeah!!!!! Exile gets it!!!! :D

500 OSF points for not being obtuse!!! Be sure and visit the gift store on your way out....
It's not that I'm obtuse, I'm just not reading into what he's saying like B1 is. I not buying what the narrative over this off-season has been selling.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:07 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:41 pm
It's not that I'm obtuse, I'm just not reading into what he's saying like B1 is. I not buying what the narrative over this off-season has been selling.
How many quarterbacks have been drafted over the past 10 years?

How many have come out and made statements to the press about how they want to go to a winning orginazation or made allusions to wanting to make sure whoever drafts them is serious about winning?

Answer: Lots and none.

Make no mistake about it, Burrow is making a statement with all these little comments about "winning." And it's pretty obvious he's firing a shot directly over SoPs bow that Cincy can draft him but he's not going to be content
with just playing ....he expects to compete and win.

And he expects whoever drafts him I. E. the Bengals to feel the same way and more importantly....act on it!!!

He's signaling he'll pull a Palmer and demand a trade or sit out if necessary to force a trade down the line rather than just show up season after season like Dalton and put up with mediocrity or worse...losing.

Mark my words, he's not going to be a quiet happy camper if SoP keeps the status quo and doesn't bust his hump each and every season to put a winning team around him.

Exile

Post by Exile » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:22 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:07 pm
Make no mistake about it, Burrow is making a statement with all these little comments about "winning." And it's pretty obvious he's firing a shot directly over SoPs bow that Cincy can draft him but he's not going to be content

And he expects whoever drafts him I. E. the Bengals to feel the same way and more importantly....act on it!!!

He's signaling he'll pull a Palmer and demand a trade or sit out if necessary to force a trade down the line rather than just show up season after season like Dalton and put up with mediocrity or worse...losing.

Mark my words, he's not going to be a quiet happy camper if SoP keeps the status quo and doesn't bust his hump each and every season to put a winning team around him.
And I'm fine with this, at least in principle. Everyone on this site wants what Joe Burrow wants--a team that wins. And just like Joe, we all understand that no single guy is going to get us there. So from that perspective, I hope he gets exactly what he wants and everyone's happy.

The devil's in the details, of course. Granted that none of us know what went on behind the scenes, but I think a lot of us thought Palmer was more a whiner on the way out than a champion of the people demanding excellence from the organization. For an organization that Palmer didn't seem to think was serious about winning, they had a pretty damned good team that I always felt like got bit by more than it's fair share of bad luck.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:38 pm

My understanding of the Palmer situation is that Carson sat down in the off-season with Marvin/Mikey and told them he wanted to see a greater commitment to winning or he wanted out....period.

Marvin was sympathetic and SoP did what he usually does and pulled the ole' "No player's gonna' tell me how to run my organization!" and basically told Carson he was out of line. So Carson quit in hopes it would force a trade which, eventually it did.

Palmer's dislike of the orginazation and Mike Brown in particular, was compounded further by Mikies cheapskate ways such as not giving out Christmas gifts and making the players throw their own Birthday parties etc... It was just a general skinflintness that permiated the whole orginazation that Palmer couldn't abide.

But first and foremost was his belief that Brown wasn't serious about winning. So Carson sat himself down and simply said, "I'm not going to put up with this anymore."

And Burrow is saying up front he won't either. It's not really hard to read the tea leafs....

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:43 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:07 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
How many quarterbacks have been drafted over the past 10 years?

How many have come out and made statements to the press about how they want to go to a winning orginazation or made allusions to wanting to make sure whoever drafts them is serious about winning?

Answer: Lots and none.

B1 I understand your argument, I just don't agree with your assessment. Are we not allowed to disagree? I just don't read that and say oh man he's obviously taking shots at someone. I'm also not buying the narrative that we are a shitty franchise, I've see the stats and while the narrative from the media is one thing the money being spent is telling a different story. I'm not buying the character issues oh this kid that you think there might be. Maybe you're right maybe you're not I'm just stating I'm not buying what you're selling.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:52 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
B1 I understand your argument, I just don't agree with your assessment. Are we not allowed to disagree? I just don't read that and say oh man he's obviously taking shots at someone. I'm also not buying the narrative that we are a shitty franchise, I've see the stats and while the narrative from the media is one thing the money being spent is telling a different story. I'm not buying the character issues oh this kid that you think there might be. Maybe you're right maybe you're not I'm just stating I'm not buying what you're selling.
Well, to be honest, I wasn't speaking just to you. And of course you're allowed to be wrong....err....disagree. ;)

But as I stated in an earlier post, lots of QBs have been drafted over the years and they haven't given interviews to the press and emphasized "winning" like Burrow has.

There's a reason for it and you can claim its all just business as usual but it's not. And I think it's pretty obvious it's not.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:31 am

I'm still pissed we wasted a first round pick on Billy Price.

Who's wit me?

Oh, I read all that Burrow stuff too and honestly yes, he's throwing subtle hints at SoP saying, "if you draft me, I'm not just gonna settle for a one and done end of season playoff run. He wants a team built around him, he wants solid draft picks (no more Billy Prices), he wants commitment to winning, he wants to be active in frew agency, he's not gonna settle for 8-8, 10-6 with a first round playoff loss and say, "oh well, atleast we made the playoffs huh"

And yes, if the bengals continue to be the bengals he gonna pull a Palmer, no doubt.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:29 am

Hey, if even JoeB sees it.... 8-)