Sometimes, being a Bengals fan sucks

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Aceking
Site Admin

Sometimes, being a Bengals fan sucks

Post by Aceking » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:55 pm

You know, I can turn a blind eye to a lot of the crap that comes with supporting the Bengals and their ownership... but this really bothers me. It ranks up there with the last Bengals / Steelers playoff game as things that made me question my support:
“I really don’t want to go anywhere else. I want to finish my career in Cincinnati, but their offer isn’t even competitive with the others. Can you reach out to them and see if they will increase their offer?” The answer hit us like a ton of bricks… “Andrew, here’s the text I just received from Troy Blackburn (one of the Bengals’ owners),” Pat’s text read. “I wanted you to read it for yourself. I’m sorry.” “We don’t have Andrew valued at that price,” Blackburn said. “He is an aging left tackle. Our offer stands. It will not increase. If he chooses to leave Cincinnati, all good things must come to an end, I guess.”
Full story:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/0 ... y-bengals/

Jmble

Re: Sometimes, being a Bengals fan sucks

Post by Jmble » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:34 pm

I have two schools of thought on this honestly.

1. At the time we let him go, I don't believe there was anyone on this board who thought we should pay him the kind of money that the Rams were offering him. In fact I linked to the history the last time we had this conversation. Unfortunately the history is now gone.

but...

2. It's not our job to evaluate aging players to see if they still have what it takes to keep playing at a high level. Obviously the Rams saw something in him to give him that money. Our talent evaluaters for whatever reason didn't.

Andysbigfateyebrows

Post by Andysbigfateyebrows » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:10 pm

Jmble wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:34 pm

1. At the time we let him go, I don't believe there was anyone on this board who thought we should pay him the kind of money that the Rams were offering him. In fact I linked to the history the last time we had this conversation. Unfortunately the history is now gone.

but...

2. It's not our job to evaluate aging players to see if they still have what it takes to keep playing at a high level. Obviously the Rams saw something in him to give him that money. Our talent evaluaters for whatever reason didn't.
#2 is laughable. We had O and Fisher. They were gonna get their shot. No way we were paying top dollar for an older LT with two young early picks sitting the pine. That’s not the Bungles way.

But then again, the Bengals undervalue leadership and character.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:01 pm

Andysbigfateyebrows wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:10 pm
Jmble wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:34 pm

but...

#2 is laughable. We had O and Fisher. They were gonna get their shot. No way we were paying top dollar for an older LT with two young early picks sitting the pine. That’s not the Bungles way.

But then again, the Bengals undervalue leadership and character.
Been awhile since someone called them the "Bungles" around here. :idea: ;) ;)

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:58 pm

Seriously B1, just own it so we can slander you directly. This taking a year off is a full blown cop out.
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins