The One Deal to Put Us Over the Top

Talk NFL or college football here. Go Bengals!

The One Deal to Put Us Over the Top

Postby Mag » February 10th, 2018, 9:09 am

We all know this would never happen. But if it did, I believe it would be the deal to set us up for success for years to come.

Trade Andy Dalton to Buffalo for picks 21 and 22. I believe we have gotten all we will ever get from Andy. He has been solid for us, but he will never get us over the top. He still has tremendous value as a starter for someone. He also has an extremely favorable contract for the next 2 years. That boosts his trade value even more.

The Bills had a great year and have a lot of talent. They need a QB. Taylor was serviceable, but the management has not faith in him. They have no shot at trading up for a top rated QB unless they package more than the 21st and 22nd picks. Currently, the Bills fan base LOVES Andy.

Once the deal is done, we offer a contract extension to McCarron. He can be had for modest salary that is equal or even less than what Andy got paid ($15 mil per). Arm talent and mobility-wise, AJ and Andy are similar. Andy is the better QB, but with time as the starter, AJ could be as good, if not better. Worse case, he is serviceable until a new guy could be drafted.

Draft:

12. Mike McGlinchey OT ND- There may be more athletic OTs in the draft, but he is the safest pick. He is also the most likely to be able to start day one.

21. Sam Hubbard DE OSU- Dunlap and MJ are entering their final years. So is Atkins. Atkins will likely get the extension and both DEs will be allowed to go. Hubbard will allow us to move on from MJ this year and will give us a great rotation with him, Dunlap, Willis, Smith, and Lawson. Then replace Dunlap if he eventually leaves.

22- Billy Price C OSU- Back to back Buckeyes and our center of the future. McGlinchey starts at LT and Andre Smith starts on the Right. Ogbueghi is the first OT off the bench. Price starts at C with Boling at LG. Redman, Westeman, and Hopkins battle for RG.
Mag

Re: The One Deal to Put Us Over the Top

Postby stripesincarolina » February 10th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Damn Mag...you must have had an "awakening" to come up with that.... a true zen moment. Thats some good legwork there. And I LOVE it! Anything to move on from Dalton and give AJ his shot makes me happy. And what a crafty move to shuffle and improve the Oline in one swoop.

I only see one issue with this. If everyone else sees this move, and they know we want olinemen, we would likely trigger some trade ups into the teens and lose the picks you highlighted. I think we would need to be higher than 21/22 to get our lineman picks.....or use our 12 on one of them. Lots of teams needing lineman this year. I see them going early!
NEW.COACH........NEXT YEAR
stripesincarolina

Postby Mag » February 11th, 2018, 12:27 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:Damn Mag...you must have had an "awakening" to come up with that.... a true zen moment. Thats some good legwork there. And I LOVE it! Anything to move on from Dalton and give AJ his shot makes me happy. And what a crafty move to shuffle and improve the Oline in one swoop.

I only see one issue with this. If everyone else sees this move, and they know we want olinemen, we would likely trigger some trade ups into the teens and lose the picks you highlighted. I think we would need to be higher than 21/22 to get our lineman picks.....or use our 12 on one of them. Lots of teams needing lineman this year. I see them going early!

Lots of teams do need OL, but more need QBs. McGlinchey, as of now is not the consensus #1 OT. So 12 should be high enough for him. If not, I would be happy with UGA LB, Smith or UTSA DE, Davenport or Bama S Fitzpatrick or UW DT Vita Vea. Picks 21 and 22 should be adequate for Price. He is currently the 3rd or 4th best OG behind Nelson from ND, Hernandez from UTEP, and Wynn from UGA. Some have Daniels from Iowa ahead of him at C. If we an't get Price, the other aforementioned OLs would suffice. or if we don't get a LB at 12, perhaps we get Evans from Bama or we go DT with D'Ron Payne from Bama. I guess the point is we have options with 3 1st round picks. Perhaps we trade up to the top 5 and draft Chubb, the DE from NCST.
Mag

Postby scooper » February 12th, 2018, 3:04 pm

Holy crap. Draft a Domer and Moeller Crusader in round one? That would be a dream scenario for me.
scooper

Return to Football