Players Kneeling

Talk NFL or college football here. Go Bengals!

Re: Players Kneeling

Postby Bengals1 » September 25th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Jmble wrote:Here is the NFL rule. I have not fact checked this, so if it's somebody making something up I apologize, but it seems like it's legit.

The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states:
“The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.
“During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.” ........

Okay, a couple of things here. One, having a rule and enforcing it are two different things. I never doubted the NFL had some sort of "guideline" which is really what this amounts to regarding the playing of the Nat'l Anthem and conduct therein. You'll also note the rule reads, "Players on the field and bench should stand at attention..." not must stand at attention, once again, two different connotations.

What I proposed is a solution to the current bad publicity the league is generating due to this current crises. Make it optional to come out for the anthem but also make it a policy/rule that any player on the field or bench must stand when it plays.

That way, if you don't want to stand at attention you can sit inside and not make the league look bad. It's not ideal I'll admit, but it would get the league out of the headlines for now.... 8-)
Bengals1

Postby Deadcat » September 25th, 2017, 3:02 pm

And then there's this:

I interrupt this bitchfest over how unpatriotic those ungrateful NFL players are to bring you the national anthem story you should actually be outraged over. The American government pays the NFL to tell its players to stand during the national anthem. That’s right.

It turns out that from 2011-2014, the Department of Defense spent $5.4 million in contracts with 14 NFL teams for flag ceremonies. The National Guard got in on the action too, and gave $6.7 million to the NFL for the same kind of thing from 2013 to 2015.

For those of you whose heads are beginning to spin, let me lay this all out legally. The First Amendment prohibits any government entity from forcing an individual to say anything. That’s the basic concept of freedom of speech. In a related story, forcing people to salute a flag or swear an oath of loyalty to the government is pronounced, “tyranny.” However, private organizations, including employers (like the NFL) can require employees to say or not say whatever they choose, so long as that speech doesn’t offend some other law. The NFL is well within its rights to require, as a term of employment, that every player sing the national anthem, stand during its playing, or salute the flag; it’s basically the same rule that allows T.G.I.Fridays to require its servers to ask, “is this your first time dining with us today?” when you sit down to order wings. If employees don’t do what’s expected, they’ve breached their contracts. It’s that simple. It’s also not a First Amendment issue, because again, private employers are not government guarantors of Constitutional rights. Of course, the First Amendment implications become murkier when you throw in interference from POTUS, but that’s a whole ‘nother topic.

Before 2009, football players standing for the national anthem wasn’t even a thing. The teams stayed in the locker room until after “and the hoooome of the braaaave,” and then ran onto the field. No one was offended, and no one was on cable news eliciting tears from disrespected military families. But then, the Department of Defense and the National Guard got involved. They began to pay the NFL millions of dollars to have ostentatious flag ceremonies before games. If the waste of taxpayer money isn’t gross enough, grab your barf bag as you learn about the motivation behind the expenditure. The DOD and the National Guard were marketing to sports fans. The concept was that if sports fans saw their favorite athletes standing for the Star Spangled Banner, or saluting the flag, they’d emulate that behavior and become more patriotic themselves. Kind of like the nationalist version of a Nike endorsement contract. I’ll leave open the question of why the U.S. government didn’t also see fit to sponsor other praiseworthy behavior by high-profile athletes, such as living non-violent personal lives, refraining from using illicit substances, and paying taxes.

I say stop paying these idiots to stand for the anthem. Let them sit, stand, stay in the locker room, eat donuts and drink beer. Who cares as long as it's out of sight. As said many a time before, the NFL could squash this crap but just enforcing a rule. I say give the government (whom they apparently don't like) their money back. Stay in the locker room until after the anthem, then play freakin' football and leave the politics to those overpaid idiots in Washington.
Deadcat

Postby Mag » September 25th, 2017, 8:10 pm

At least we aren't Steelers fans. Basically, Villanueva just apologized to the media for making Tomlin and the team look bad. Fuck those assholes. Even though we lost, our team had way more class.
Mag

Postby Bengals1 » September 26th, 2017, 9:18 am

Mag wrote:At least we aren't Steelers fans. Basically, Villanueva just apologized to the media for making Tomlin and the team look bad. Fuck those assholes. Even though we lost, our team had way more class.

And Ben is now saying he wished he'd gone out and stood. Talk about dysfunction. :roll:
Bengals1

Previous

Return to Football