Cincinnati TV station urges boycott of Bengals

Talk NFL or college football here. Go Bengals!

Postby Bengals1 » May 1st, 2017, 5:47 pm

It's getting so the only time this team opens it's mouth is to change feet..... :roll:

Posted by Mike Florio on May 1, 2017

Well, maybe the decision to draft running back Joe Mixon won’t go over as smoothly for the Bengals as believed. Local TV station WCPO, an ABC affiliate, wants fans to skip the team’s home games in 2017.

“We are urging every Bengals fan to take drastic action,” an online editorial explains. “Instead of buying a Bengals ticket this year, take the $50 or more you would have spent on that ticket and donate the money to a nonprofit that works to prevent violence against women. . . . Enough is enough, Bengals. We can excuse another season without winning a playoff game. We can’t excuse drafting a player like Joe Mixon.”

It’s a fair position for WCPO to take, but where was the outcry when it was clear that the Bengals were interested in Mixon? It would have made more sense to organize a clear, unmistakable warning than to react after the pick has been made. (And if there was such an effort, few beyond Cincinnati noticed.)

Moreover, there’s still no reason to think that a significant number of fans will vote with their wallets or their eyeballs. Even if public opinion shifts sharply against the team, winning will change everything. Or at least that’s what the Bengals hope will happen.

In the interim, the question becomes whether fans will rally behind the effort to send a message to Mike Brown through his bank account. Ultimately, that’s really the only way to reach him.
Bengals1

Re: Cincinnati TV station urges boycott of Bengals

Postby Joe Bananas » May 1st, 2017, 6:12 pm

People aren't going to boycott. I've stopped watching national and local news anyways because of their biased political affiliations, so wcpo and all of em can kiss it right in the crack.

I don't like extremism on either side and once people (wcpo) tells WHAT to do then i usually do the opposite
Joe Bananas

Postby MeatHeadbengal » May 1st, 2017, 6:18 pm

Bengals1 wrote:It's getting so the only time this team opens it's mouth is to change feet..... :roll:

Posted by Mike Florio on May 1, 2017

Well, maybe the decision to draft running back Joe Mixon won’t go over as smoothly for the Bengals as believed. Local TV station WCPO, an ABC affiliate, wants fans to skip the team’s home games in 2017.

“We are urging every Bengals fan to take drastic action,” an online editorial explains. “Instead of buying a Bengals ticket this year, take the $50 or more you would have spent on that ticket and donate the money to a nonprofit that works to prevent violence against women. . . . Enough is enough, Bengals. We can excuse another season without winning a playoff game. We can’t excuse drafting a player like Joe Mixon.”

It’s a fair position for WCPO to take, but where was the outcry when it was clear that the Bengals were interested in Mixon? It would have made more sense to organize a clear, unmistakable warning than to react after the pick has been made. (And if there was such an effort, few beyond Cincinnati noticed.)

Moreover, there’s still no reason to think that a significant number of fans will vote with their wallets or their eyeballs. Even if public opinion shifts sharply against the team, winning will change everything. Or at least that’s what the Bengals hope will happen.

In the interim, the question becomes whether fans will rally behind the effort to send a message to Mike Brown through his bank account. Ultimately, that’s really the only way to reach him.

I'm really sick of this kind of political drivel, report the news and stay in the middle that's your job. The media isn't another branch of government.

If you want to boycott them because of their lack of competitiveness and the fact that us fans have had to put up with this team for decades great but do it because of that.
MeatHeadbengal

Postby Mag » May 1st, 2017, 6:28 pm

I saw that on twitter. So the station mentions a boycott, yet they continued to tweet and report on any and all Bengals news.
Mag

Postby Bengals1 » May 1st, 2017, 6:44 pm

I think it's stupid too but c'mon guys.....you had to know there would be some sort of backlash.

And my guess is, this isn't the end of it either.....

Bengals1

Postby Kendall » May 2nd, 2017, 7:37 am

Ugggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

This is why I didn't want Joe Mixon.

Is the juice really worth the squeeze? Really?

I've had to answer for the pick no fewer than ten times out in the world, already. At a cookout on Saturday, at my kid's soccer on Sunday, in my vanpool on Monday morning, at work on Monday, at Scouts on Monday night, etc., etc., etc.
Kendall

Postby RazorbackBengal » May 2nd, 2017, 11:13 am

Anyone else see the irony in boycotting a violent sport, for a violent incident from a player that occurs off field?

The video is repulsive - hated having to explain that one to my two boys. I have been trying to teach them to use their strength for good, not evil.

From all appearances, it looked like a young man/arrogant football player ridiculed a man that he thought was effeminate for his perceived sexual preferences. When a girl reacts to defend her friend, Mixon perverts his God-given gifts for evil. He uses his strength to punch a girl out. Mixon is fortunate that he did not kill her.

Honestly, I believe that lots of college football players have done stuff like this. Granted, most of the time the player is fighting another dude. None of this is acceptable.

My hope is that Mixon has learned to control himself. I hope he never again raises a hand to hurt anyone - including his future wife/husband/children.
RazorbackBengal

Postby Bengals1 » May 2nd, 2017, 12:44 pm

RazorbackBengal wrote: Honestly, I believe that lots of college football players have done stuff like this. Granted, most of the time the player is fighting another dude.

You don't justify bad behavior by pointing to other bad behavior.

Try that the next time you're pulled over by a Cop. "Gee Officer....lots of other vehicles were going 20 miles over the speed limit too....?

See where that gets you.

The point is that if the Patriots or Steelers had taken Mixon we'd be hearing about how everyone deserves a second chance and with a strong organization like New England or Pittsburgh behind him he can become a productive citizen blah...blah...blah..

The elephant in the room here is that he was chosen by the Bengals, a team like it or not, that already has the reputation for coddling criminals like Pacman etc...

This backlash shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Especially not Marvin and SoP. :x
Bengals1

Postby RazorbackBengal » May 2nd, 2017, 1:25 pm

Yup.

It will all be moot anyway. Mixon will probably blow out an Achilles' tendon during rookie camp. Our top pics like to get hurt.
RazorbackBengal

Postby Bengals1 » May 2nd, 2017, 2:19 pm

RazorbackBengal wrote:Yup.

It will all be moot anyway. Mixon will probably blow out an Achilles' tendon during rookie camp. Our top pics like to get hurt.

Nah, he'll blow in out in week 16 against the Lions in the Silver Dome. Where Bengals running backs go to die....
Bengals1

Next

Return to Football