Re: General Free Agency News & Chatter.

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:59 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:49 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:10 am
Jmble wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:07 am
If I'm being honest, I'd much rather bring in Trent Brown for a potential Super Bowl run this year and maybe draft somebody than bring in a project at Right Tackle.
I'm with you on this one. I would sacrifice DT for a Trent Brown, and then get DT in the draft.
Agreed but I don't believe the Bengals think this way. Brown is only 30 which means he has several solid years still in him. Sign him then sign a RT at 18 or even in the 2nd round to be the long term answer.

But once again, I doubt the team sees it that way...
There's no flaw in that logic when it comes to this teams thinking.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:23 pm

I would think about bringing back Carl Lawson if he comes cheap and adding him in the DE rotation. Maybe being back in Cincy will bring a little of that sack magic he had but lost in NY.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:29 pm

Please don't react or you may be called out for over-reacting. Nevermind that we are going into the draft with no RT and a 320lb hole on our Dline. Trent Brown or bust I suppose. Maybe a trade out there somewhere since we have a few extra pics now with the comps we picked up. Gotta do something.

From SB Nation:

After hosting the free agent defensive tackle for a visit last week, it looked like Tart was very close to becoming a Bengal.

However, Paul Dehner of The Athletic and The Growling podcast reports that Tart is unlikely to sign with Cincinnati.

“It certainly sounds like Teair Tart is not going to happen,” Dehner said, later adding, “Tart’s probably not a match” for what the Bengals are looking for.

If true, then the Bengals are probably out of free agent options in terms of a true DJ Reader replacement at nose tackle.

Tart began his NFL career as an undrafted free agent in 2020 out of Florida International. He signed with the Tennessee Titans and was waived during final roster cuts. He would spend much of the next two seasons bouncing between the practice squad and the active roster.

Tart’s breakout year would come in 2022. He appeared in 16 games (all starts) and recorded 24 tackles, five tackles for loss, seven QB hits, and 1.5 sacks. He earned a career-best 73.1 PFF grade.

This past season, Tart appeared in 11 games (nine starts) with the Titans and was released in December. After being claimed by Houston, Tart appeared in two games (no starts). He finished the season with 24 tackles, eight tackles for loss, four QB hits, one sack, and a 54.0 PFF grade.

What about New York Jets offensive tackle Mekhi Becton? He also visited the Bengals last week and has a prior connection to offensive line coach Frank Pollack, while the Bengals have a massive need at right tackle following the departure of Jonah Williams.

While the door isn’t completely closed on Becton, Dehner believes the Bengals are “more aggressively” pursuing more experienced options at right tackle. Dehner didn’t name names, but former New England Patriots lineman Trent Brown is far and away the best remaining offensive tackle on the market.
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:19 pm

I'm just not as worried about the DT position as some of you seem to be.

This is a deep draft at D-line and a huge, (don't get excited JoeB! 8-) ) run stuffing lineman can be had in the 2nd. It's also not a position like RT that requires lots of practice time to get acquainted with the people your playing next to. DT is much more of a plug-and-play position than O-line.

Going into this draft needing another D-lineman is not fatal to the teams overall success in 2024.

RT is a cat of a different stripe however. A good, solid RT can almost certainly be found at 18 where the Bengals currently draft at. But, as I've already said on numerous occasions, the idea of a rookie guarding Joe Glass's side is troublesome at best.

So the signing of a veteran Tackle is a much more important acquisition imo. There are still a few good ones out there and I don't see why the team can't sign one at some point this week. The asking prices are only going to go down (again, don't get excited Joseph! :evil: ) the deeper we get into the Free Agency period.

I expect them to sign someone to play RT fairly soon. In the meantime, I'm just not going to lose sleep over it.

Not yet at least...

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:29 pm

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
27s
Free-agent OT Trent Brown is scheduled to travel tonight to Cincinnati to meet Tuesday with the Bengals, who lost OT Jonah Williams in free agency to the Cardinals.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:40 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:19 pm
I'm just not as worried about the DT position as some of you seem to be.

This is a deep draft at D-line and a huge, (don't get excited JoeB! 8-) ) run stuffing lineman can be had in the 2nd. It's also not a position like RT that requires lots of practice time to get acquainted with the people your playing next to. DT is much more of a plug-and-play position than O-line.

Going into this draft needing another D-lineman is not fatal to the teams overall success in 2024.

RT is a cat of a different stripe however. A good, solid RT can almost certainly be found at 18 where the Bengals currently draft at. But, as I've already said on numerous occasions, the idea of a rookie guarding Joe Glass's side is troublesome at best.

So the signing of a veteran Tackle is a much more important acquisition imo. There are still a few good ones out there and I don't see why the team can't sign one at some point this week. The asking prices are only going to go down (again, don't get excited Joseph! :evil: ) the deeper we get into the Free Agency period.

I expect them to sign someone to play RT fairly soon. In the meantime, I'm just not going to lose sleep over it.

Not yet at least...
I feel dirty for typing this, but I agree with B1.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:42 pm

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Source: The #Saints are expected to sign former #49ers pass-rusher Chase Young, a new weapon off the edge.
The 2020 No. 2 overall selection gets a fresh start.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:44 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:40 pm
Don't say "dirty", you'll get JoeB going again. :?

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:44 pm
4256 Hits wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:40 pm
Don't say "dirty", you'll get JoeB going again. :?
Hey. I'm in for a two'fer
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:02 pm

We suck at run stopping and our pass rush on the interior was completely mediocre without Reader. So yes, I'm a little sensitive that we lost DJ. And you don't need 1 RT, we need 2. A starter and a quality back up. And we need a CB, TE, we need a DL (or 2), we need a punter, we need a LB, we may need 2 or 3 WRs.....we are running out of draft picks quickly here. Especially meaningful draft picks that lead to starters.

Not going to hide it. I'm a little nervous that they have somewhat botched this offseason at some very key roles. I'm happy to overreact until proven wrong.
Last edited by stripesincarolina on Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins