FA's

Talk NFL or college football here. Go Bengals!

Re: FA's

Postby MeatHeadbengal » January 5th, 2017, 8:50 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Mag wrote: Dre made $7.5 mil. Janoris Jenkins averaged 12.5 mil as a top FA CB. I see us having to cut Jones, so that should save 6-7 mil. That savings plus their last year's number, should fit both players.

Danica is no where near the top when it comes to CB's and his agent is going to have scant evidence to use in his favor. 9 mil would be a nice raise for Danica and he's robbing us at that! :x

I agree he's not worth 9 million in all honesty but if we could keep him for that I'd say let him stay, if not let him walk and kick up on FA or draft. Dre isn't that good and I don't want to overpay for his talent.
MeatHeadbengal

Postby Bengals1 » January 5th, 2017, 12:17 pm

Paul Dehner Jr. and Jim Owczarski made a column where they gave their opinion of the chances the Bengals re-sign each of their Free Agents. Here's their thoughts....

Andrew Whitworth (UFA) 85%
Kevin Zeitler (UFA) 45%
Dre Kirkpatrick (UFA) 50%
Brandon LaFell (UFA) 65%
Rex Burkhead (UFA) 30%
T.J. Johnson (R) 75%
Eric Winston (UFA) 60%
Cedric Peerman (UFA) 80%
Brandon Thompson (UFA) 75%
Domata Peko (UFA) 20%
Wallace Gilberry (UFA) 15%
Margus Hunt (UFA) 5%
Karlos Dansby (UFA) 5%
Randy Bullock (UFA) 10%
Bengals1

Postby Joe Bananas » January 5th, 2017, 5:10 pm

Bengals1 wrote:Paul Dehner Jr. and Jim Owczarski made a column where they gave their opinion of the chances the Bengals re-sign each of their Free Agents. Here's their thoughts....

Andrew Whitworth (UFA) 85%
Kevin Zeitler (UFA) 45%
Dre Kirkpatrick (UFA) 50%
Brandon LaFell (UFA) 65%
Rex Burkhead (UFA) 30%
T.J. Johnson (R) 75%
Eric Winston (UFA) 60%
Cedric Peerman (UFA) 80%
Brandon Thompson (UFA) 75%
Domata Peko (UFA) 20%
Wallace Gilberry (UFA) 15%
Margus Hunt (UFA) 5%
Karlos Dansby (UFA) 5%
Randy Bullock (UFA) 10%

So all the guys who really don't do anything like Peerman, and Brandon Thompson are more than likely going to resign with us but Zeitler, and Peko and Dre ain't?

And why does it seem like TJ Johnson has been listed as a rookie the past 3 years.....?
Joe Bananas

Postby Deadcat » January 6th, 2017, 9:13 am

No. I think list takes into consideration both sides of the coin. Some of these players are unlikely to be signed because of their pay/ability to go elsewhere. Some also are unlikely to be signed because of our unwillingness to resign them, e.g. Dansby, Hunt, etc.

I think our priorities should be to resign our two best lineman from a line that struggled even with them. If those two walk, I'm scared to see how bad our line will be. If we had to chose one or the other, I would go with Whitworth. He's a team leader and can play both tackle and guard (even if he doesn't want to). It's much easier to replace a guard which is exactly why the Bengals don't pay their guards, which is also why we would unlikely resign Zeitler. Bodine, while a crappy center, my slide over and be a very good guard. The dude is strong as an ox and maybe able to hold his leverage better when he's not worried about snapping a ball. We have other guards that can slide in their as well. I believe that Fisher was drafted with this role in mind. After watching the player known as O suck up the tackle position, I can't condone losing our best tackle. We might also be able to sign a serviceable tackle or guard in free agency. I won't hold my breath but occasionally the team signs a free agent work damn.

I'd love to resign Burkhead. I always felt he was underutilized in our offense. But if the team isn't going to use him, he should be allowed to walk. As long as Hill and Gio are on the squad, Burkhead won't get snaps at RB. That's just how Marvin rolls. He'll bench the better player for the veteran everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. That's part of my problem with Marvin. He is loyal to a fault. Better to let Nuge continue to miss kicks than to go out and sign an unknown. Better to let Peko do nothing on the line than to give Williams more snaps. We all saw Burkhead light it up when both Gio and Hill did little with our sorry ass line. But Marvin will say that it was a small sample size. Mike Brown will insult him by trying to pay him based on his draft position or based on his production over the past 4 years where Marvin buried him on the bench instead of paying the guy based on his potential which has some proof. That's how this team roles. Burkhead will walk to another team (despite what Cincy Jungle says, I think will be the Patriots) and will be a star. He'll point out the problems on our team and say how much better his current team is. Everyone does it. Sucks!
Deadcat

Postby Ryno » January 6th, 2017, 9:29 am

I still think Gilberry is much more important than he gets credit for. Once he returned our DL was much better and got much more pressure on the QB.
Hear them Bengals growling mean and angry.....
Ryno

Postby MeatHeadbengal » January 6th, 2017, 9:35 am

Wow, who gave out the crazy juice, and secondly why are you guys drinking it?

First of all Burkhead while he's a great overall person, he's a #2 RB at best, at BEST! He's a try hard special teams guy that is great to have around, he's like Peerman. Burkhead isn't going to be a star anywhere cause he's just not that type of player.
MeatHeadbengal

Postby Deadcat » January 6th, 2017, 10:56 am

Look at the stats. AJ averaged over 5 yards per carry with a line that held Hill to about 2 and Gio to about 3.
Deadcat

Postby orange_black » January 9th, 2017, 2:38 pm

Deadcat wrote:Look at the stats. AJ averaged over 5 yards per carry with a line that held Hill to about 2 and Gio to about 3.

I liked him cuz from what i saw, he had a nose for running lanes... and seemed to always fall forward.
WHODEY BITC... i mean... PEOPLE!!!!
orange_black

Postby Deadcat » January 9th, 2017, 3:45 pm

And, not to beat a dead horse (but instead to reference a fact that Meat of all people should appreciate), the offensive line spoke up for Burkhead. As a former offensive lineman and line coach, you should appreciate that if the line is saying what a good back he was, they are doing so because they liked blocking for him (probably because he made them look better). Just sayin!

“He proved today, man, he can run the football. I’d take him as a No. 1 any day of the week,” Andrew Whitworth told Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com. “I don’t think there’s too many teams where he wouldn’t fit. He runs the ball well. He’s got great agility. He’s got eyes, he’s got it all. The whole team has wanted him to get his opportunity and see what he does. Especially the defensive players because they know what Rex used to do to them. He’s a talented kid.”

“He’s a damn good player,” Hewitt said. “He showed that today. He’s reliable and tough and hits it up in there and does what he’s supposed to do. I like Rex as a teammate and person. He’s a good dude.”

And this is from an opposing coach,
On that note, Ravens coach John Harbaugh expressed admiration for Burkhead’s talent after the game. “Rex Burkhead is a really good player,” Harbaugh said. “He’s really special”
Deadcat

Postby MeatHeadbengal » January 10th, 2017, 9:22 am

I do appreciate that DC and honestly I'm not saying we don't sign him, I'm just curious though to how much this is fluff talk, or coaches speak. I know the O-line would say that cause Burkhead's more like them, he's a guy that goes to work everyday with his lunch box, keeps his mouth shut and just works hard. A major difference from what we see now in NFL RB's.
MeatHeadbengal

Previous

Return to Football