AJ McCarron ready to be traded?

Talk NFL or college football here. Go Bengals!

Re: AJ McCarron ready to be traded?

Postby Mag » January 26th, 2017, 1:58 pm

Kendall wrote:If memory serves, AJ had that game lost, zero points through three quarters until Vontaze Burfict bailed him out.

All I'm saying is that Dalton would have led us to some sort of points during the first 45 minutes of that game, rendering the last minute and a half moot.

He scored the go ahead touchdown.
Mag

Postby Ryno » January 26th, 2017, 2:02 pm

Had Dalton been healthy they probably wouldn't have been playing that game, b/c they would have beaten Denver and had a bye the first week!
Hear them Bengals growling mean and angry.....
Ryno

Postby MeatHeadbengal » January 28th, 2017, 10:22 am

Ryno wrote:Had Dalton been healthy they probably wouldn't have been playing that game, b/c they would have beaten Denver and had a bye the first week!

+1
MeatHeadbengal

Postby 4256 Hits » February 1st, 2017, 8:42 am

Another possible trading partner could be the Cards. It appears the Palmer may retire (for real this time) as he says he body may not be able to hold up any longer.
4256 Hits

Postby Mag » February 9th, 2017, 7:31 am

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/ ... /97642562/

His trade value may have just gone up. It seems any team that acquires him, will have two full years with him at a modest salary before they have to make a decision to pay him a starter's salary. This also means that Cincy could get another year out of him as #2. Then they could put a second or third round tender on him to almost guarantee a high draft compensation.
Mag

Postby Deadcat » February 9th, 2017, 9:16 am

And with that said, I don't let a talented backup QB go for anything less than a first. Since we'll have AJ for two years, a lot can happen in two years. You don't trade that away unless the offer is sufficient. If we trade McCarren, where would we have to draft someone to replace him, pretty high up I'd imagine. So you don't do it. This is not a year of talented QBs. I would make any team that wants him pony up a first round pick plus. There are a lot of teams in position to need a QB. Make them pay.

Teams definitely needing a QB:
    San Fran
    Cleveland
    NY Jets
    Buffalo
    Chicago

Teams potentially needing a QB:
    Arizona
    Houston
    Jacksonville
  • Washington

QB Market

Free Agents (with starting potential):
    Tony Romo
    Jimmy G
    AJ McCarren
  • Kirk Cousins
    Blaine Gabbert
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick

Draft (1st rounders only aka potential starters):
    Deshone Kiser
    Mitch Trubisky
    Deshaun Watson
    Pat Mahomes

That's nine teams with ten candidates. Not all of these will be starters.

Cousins is listed as a free agent but I don't see him leaving Washington. He's had a couple of decent seasons and I doubt Gruden wants to start over at QB. The normal list of teams needing QBs doesn't include Washington, but if Cousins is a free agent then you have to add them to the list.

I'm guessing Fitzpatrick's boat has sailed. I actually predict he signs as a backup with the Steelers. That just seems like a move they'd make.

If Tony Romo heads to Denver (which is the talk), that likely sends Trevor Siemian to the open market. No way can they keep both Paxton Lynch and Trevor Siemian as backups. I could see one of them being exchanged with Dallas in a trade to backup Dak Prescott. My guess is it would be the elder statesman, Siemian. It's also worth noting that if this does happen, Denver takes someone off the list and Denver isn't even listed above. That still leaves all eight teams (without Washington) needing a QB with only now eight candidates.

Does Palmer retire. I'd place that potential at 50/50. He almost retired after before leaving the Bengals. I don't think the guy likes the grind or even the game anymore. But he does, like the money so my money is on him returning for one more year. I'm guessing Arizona tries really hard to grab a QB in the first to replace Carson after next season.

Also worth noting is Colin Kap is in the mix. Will he return to San Fran as a backup. They can't let both Kap and Gabbert walk, can they? My guess is they try to draft a QB, likely Watson, and have Kap begin the season as the starter. Kap will be playing for his next job because you won't be seeing him in the bay area more than a year. Kap could get traded, but who really wants to give up anything to get this guy. Does he really have anything left? He has the potential but I would suggest based on his display last season, he's too distracted with politics to lead a team anywhere. Despite Brady saying that he's friends with Trump (which really wasn't an endorsement), I can't think of one successful QB that is worried about what's going on in politics. Most are too busy watching game film.

So what does Cleveland do? I don't think Hue Jackson can afford to trade for AJ McCarren. After the Palmer trade in Oakland, I feel any trade with his former team would be suspect and look bad (especially if AJ were to struggle). I'm guess that they take a QB with their 1st or 12th pick or move around in the first to draft one somewhere. Moneyball says you shouldn't draft one with the first so I'm guessing they trade back or trade up to grabe on of the top 3 guys.

So who does that leave"
    Chicago
    Buffalo
    Jets
    Houston
    Jacksonville

First, I can easily shorten the list by two. Houston isn't paying Osweiler that kind of money and giving up on him after one year. They are going to ride this horse as far as it takes them.....or until the existing coaching staff is fired. You can also throw out Jacksonville. Bortles sucked last year. But the year before he was a stud. He was a first-round pick who showed promise. You don't discard that for the latest model hoping your next try works better. They only recently got rid of Gabbert. They can't do the same thing with Bortles. My money is they ride out his rookie contract and hope things improve. I'm also banking on the belief that they will.

So now we are down to Chicago, Buffalo and the Jets. I believe Jimmy G. is talked about going to Chicago. I also believe he'd never be traded to the Jets or Buffalo because they are in the Patriots division. I doubt BB wants to have the "what if" Jimmy G. conversation twice a year.

So that leaves the Jets or Buffalo for AJM and/or what's left in the draft. Both the Jets and Buffalo will have a shot at one of the top three guys in the draft. It's only a shot because other teams could jump in front of them if they really like a guy. We could potentially arrange a trade with Cleveland at 12 to fall back so they can jump in front of Buffalo if their guy is still there. At 12 we could still potentially land Foster, Thomas or Barnett (all guys we are considering at 9), plus we'd get something else, likely a second or third.

Based on this exercise, the market for AJM isn't huge. There's a good potential that teams will prefer to go draft over trade for a former 5th rounder. Regardless, with the 9th overall pick and a quality backup, the Bengals are in a position of stregnth going into this year's draft.
Deadcat

Postby Bengals1 » February 9th, 2017, 3:45 pm

Keep him through next season and worry about all this crap in 2018.....
Bengals1

Postby Bengals1 » February 9th, 2017, 4:33 pm

Deadcat wrote: Does Palmer retire. I'd place that potential at 50/50. He almost retired after before leaving the Bengals. I don't think the guy likes the grind or even the game anymore. But he does, like the money so my money is on him returning for one more year. I'm guessing Arizona tries really hard to grab a QB in the first to replace Carson after next season.

Carson already confirmed earlier today via a statement that he's coming back next year.....
Bengals1

Postby Deadcat » February 9th, 2017, 5:39 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Deadcat wrote: Does Palmer retire. I'd place that potential at 50/50. He almost retired after before leaving the Bengals. I don't think the guy likes the grind or even the game anymore. But he does, like the money so my money is on him returning for one more year. I'm guessing Arizona tries really hard to grab a QB in the first to replace Carson after next season.

Carson already confirmed earlier today via a statement that he's coming back next year.....

Well, I wrote this at 9 am Eastern so I'm guessing he did this after I posted this. Which just goes to show, I know my shit! :lol:
Deadcat

Postby orange_black » February 9th, 2017, 10:56 pm

Deadcat wrote:Teams potentially needing a QB:
    Arizona
    Houston
    Jacksonville
  • Washington
    Cincinnati

FIXED!!
WHODEY BITC... i mean... PEOPLE!!!!
orange_black