Marvin Lewis to retire?

Talk NFL or college football here. Go Bengals!

Marvin Lewis to retire?

Postby Jmble » December 27th, 2016, 3:23 pm

From Chris Cooley.... And copied from Cincy Jungle Take it for what you will at this point....

Rumors are beginning to swirl regarding Marvin Lewis’ future with the Bengals.

After the Bengals’ first losing season since 2010, Lewis is coming under fire and many fans want him out of Cincinnati. On Sunday morning’s Cooley & Kevin show on ESPN 980, host and former Redskins player Chris Cooley suggested this will be Lewis’ last year in Cincinnati.

“From somebody I know in Cincinnati, Marvin Lewis will retire at the end of this year, slash, be asked to retire. Which is the only information I know,” Cooley said during hour two of the show (beginning at the 22 minute mark).

Cooley is also theorizing that should Lewis step down in Cincinnati, Paul Guenther could also leave to become the defensive coordinator of the Redskins, unless the Bengals want to hire him as head coach.

“Paul Guenther is one of Jay Gruden’s best friends in the world.... What do you do with your boys? Hire them,” Cooley said.

“The idea is that he’s (Marvin Lewis) been slowly packing up the office though,” Cooley claimed. “Slowly putting the pieces away so next Sunday, he can get home, have a little meeting and say see ya, I’m going to spend some time in Arizona and play some golf.”

Cooley’s sources are of course unknown and his claim doesn’t hold all too much merit as Marvin Lewis has claimed he will not quit on the Bengals. Per a Cincinnati Enquirer one-on-one interview with Lewis back in early December:

He said he will be back next year, if asked. “Coaches don’t fear being replaced,” said Lewis. He lamented the length of the offseason: “Unless the teams in front of us fall on their faces, we have to wait so long to get back to it (next year), and then it seems like (the season) just goes,” too quickly. “like it’s Saturday night all the time.”
What do you think of this latest rumor? Are you buying in that Lewis will step down by this time next week?
Jmble

Re: Marvin Lewis to retire?

Postby MeatHeadbengal » December 27th, 2016, 5:09 pm

I'd be sad to see him go, and I'd thank him for his run, it's been pretty fun to be a Bengals fan since he's taken over.

Sure he's got his faults but I'm so happy he's made this franchise respectable again.
MeatHeadbengal

Postby Bengals1 » December 27th, 2016, 5:46 pm

I saw these earlier today but didn't know what they were referring to. Now I do.... :roll:

diego abraham ‏@diegoabraham1
@pauldehnerjr do you think this sunday is the last game of Marvin lewis in Cincinnati?

Paul Dehner Jr.@pauldehnerjr
No, it is not, contrary to the completely unsubstantiated reports and rants coming from outside the market.

‏JimOwczarski.@Enquirer Sat down w/ #Bengals HC Marvin Lewis earlier this month. READ IT. Said then he wasn't retiring.

Paul Dehner Jr.@pauldehnerjr
I don't know how many times we can keep saying this or retweeting it. Lewis has already told us he's not retiring.
Bengals1

Postby Benzoo » December 28th, 2016, 3:51 pm

From what I've gathered reading different reports from different sites. Mike Brown is going to ask Marvin to step down. Now we all know Marvin has a year left on his contract. Mike is prepared to offer a buyout. Mike Brown is coveting Tom Coughlin to be the next coach of the Bengals. This is not going to happen. For the same reason he left the Giants. He wants complete personnel control. Something Mike has shown no signs of doing.Regardless I don't see an official announcement until Monday.
Benzoo

Postby Bengals1 » December 28th, 2016, 8:39 pm

You guys are living in a fantasy world! Marvin Lewis will be the Head Coach of the Cincinnati Bengals of the National Football League when the season starts in 2017..............period!

I will bet on it! No, really....name your terms cowards!!! :x
Bengals1

Postby Benzoo » December 28th, 2016, 9:30 pm

I never said he wouldn't be here next season. Me, personally I want him back until we come up with a viable replacement.
Benzoo

Postby Bengals1 » December 29th, 2016, 12:50 am

Benzoo wrote:I never said he wouldn't be here next season. Me, personally I want him back until we come up with a viable replacement.

You said you believed from everything you'd read that SoP was going to ask Marvin to step down. If he's not stepping down from his Head Coaching position what did you believe he was stepping down from exactly...?
Bengals1

Postby Joe Bananas » December 29th, 2016, 1:31 pm

He's done all he can do. His time management and lacknof discipline and lack of adjustments aren't front page news anymore. I'm awfully afraid the window is closing with the talent we have on this team.

Do I want a Mike Tice....no. do I want a Rex Ryan ...not really....but why have an eye for talent like Marvin does and in return get you a 10-6 season and a first round boot from the playoffs? All I'm saying is its time. It's been time for a few years now. There's gotta be someone out there who can get us over this hump. Obviously Marvin isn't it. He's tried. He's went through 100s of players and atleast a dozen different kinda coaches. Enough is enough.
Joe Bananas

Postby skycruiser » December 31st, 2016, 2:11 pm

This initial report from Forbes was one of the dumbest, most unfounded piece of shit "journalism" I've ever read. Who the fuck is Chris Cooley (famous for dick picks btw) to make such a claim. Forbes is stupid for picking it up, and true Bengals fans know better than to fall for it

if you read the interview that Doc did with Marv a few weeks ago you'd know that he's (unfortunately) not going anywhere next year
skycruiser

Return to Football