Thoughts on the new proposed CBA?

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Thoughts on the new proposed CBA?

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:56 am

According to published reports elements of the new proposed CBA being presented to the players include the following changes...

A 17 game regular season.

One addt'l play-off team per conference meaning only the team with best record would get a bye.

Three more players added to the roster.

There are more changes of course but these seem to be the biggest ones.

Thoughts...?

TheBurn

Re: Thoughts on the new proposed CBA?

Post by TheBurn » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:24 am

As a fan I'm all for an extra Sunday of football, and an extra chance for the B's to make the playoffs...
As a player I'd probably say hell no, even with the bump up in shared $...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:29 am

Who doesn't want more meaningful football?

They are giving more money and benefits to practice squad guys and the lower roster filling guys, nothing wrong with that. I saw where Pouncey was pissed about it, seems right cause I've always imagined him being a complete jerk. I think he was pissed cause theses higher paid players aren't getting the bumps in pay they want because it's going to the lower end guys. Personally I think they are blessed to be in the NFL and they should be happy with anything they get.

I think it should pass and I think it's good, curious to know how they will work out the extra home game though.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:53 am

Aaron Rogers and Russell Wilson have come out against it amongst others...

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:18 pm

I'd think that the only way the alternating home game would work would be if you slated it so half the divisions have an extra home game one year and the other half the next year. Either two AFC and two NFC or even more fair would be AFC one year, NFC the next year and just make one of the interconference games be the extra home game. That way it doesn't give some teams in the conference an advantage at making the playoffs over other teams in the same conference.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:45 pm

Jmble wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:18 pm
I'd think that the only way the alternating home game would work would be if you slated it so half the divisions have an extra home game one year and the other half the next year. Either two AFC and two NFC or even more fair would be AFC one year, NFC the next year and just make one of the interconference games be the extra home game. That way it doesn't give some teams in the conference an advantage at making the playoffs over other teams in the same conference.
I wouldn't be surprised if the 17th game for every team is at a neutral site. Most of those would be international games. But it would cool if the Bengals and Browns played at OSU one year.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:19 am

The problem with your scenario is with a Bengals / Browns neutral site game, one of the teams would get an extra in division home game over the other. That seems like an unfair way to do it.

If they are going to use your scenario, I think you have to do the neutral site game with an out of division opponent.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:02 pm

Jmble wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:19 am
The problem with your scenario is with a Bengals / Browns neutral site game, one of the teams would get an extra in division home game over the other. That seems like an unfair way to do it.

If they are going to use your scenario, I think you have to do the neutral site game with an out of division opponent.
True either the Brown or Bengals would give up a divisional home game. Would be a little unfair but was just thinking it would be one year.

Lions and Bears could play at ND would be another nice neutral game. Pitt and Phily at PSU. I am sure there are lots of good match-up in college stadiums that would be memorable games.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:46 am

You have to believe that 17th game is a precursor for a full season in London. While they dont have their own team yet, being able to sell out the stadium for a full season and prove to a new owner that the support is there will allow for a league expansion by 2023.
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:38 am

Good read from ESPN on exactly what's in the new CBA being offered to the players....

[https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/288 ... st-changes]