Bengals Related News & Notes

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Re: Bengals Related News & Notes

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:46 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:35 pm
I don't think this is the case here. There might be some ill will with Palmer, but his agent should be a professional and try and get 1st over all pick money period.
I read an article on ESPN.com that quoted Burrow's mother as saying he had no problems being drafted by the Bengals and it was all media hype. (Hey....who knew Meat was secretly Burrow's mother!?! :lol: )

But then every time Joe's been given a chance to qualify his feelings he gives some vaque, non commital answer.

Which only leads to more media hype...

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:52 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:46 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:35 pm
I don't think this is the case here. There might be some ill will with Palmer, but his agent should be a professional and try and get 1st over all pick money period.
I read an article on ESPN.com that quoted Burrow's mother as saying he had no problems being drafted by the Bengals and it was all media hype. (Hey....who knew Meat was secretly Burrow's mother!?! :lol: )

But then every time Joe's been given a chance to qualify his feelings he gives some vaque, non commital answer.

Which only leads to more media hype...
I don't know why you wouldn't want to come here, this city loves winners. Just look at how ppl treat Pete Rose, Johnny Bench ect. This city would build a bronze statue of a SB winning QB.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:15 am

Cincinnati would deify a Super Bowl winning QB...

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:43 am

This is definitely all about the media having nothing else to talk about right now with the NFL.

If there is one thing we know about this organization, it's that Mike Brown is going to draft who Mike Brown wants to draft regardless of what that player may say. The other thing we know about Mike Brown is that he is as stubborn as a mule. Mike won't give in to some college kid saying trade me or I will sit. Mike will let him sit and let him not get paid. I guarantee you that is not what Joe Burrow wants.

It's not all bad by the way... Chad Johnson tweeted that he was going to take Burrow to dinner and tell him what a great city and team he will be playing for here. Willie Anderson has hyped up the team on Twitter in talking of Burrow as well.

Eventually Burrow or his agent will probably be forced to say something just to get people to stop asking the question, but I honestly think this is going to end up being a non-story. Burrow will be picked number one and he will sign and he will be starting opening day of 2020 for the Bengals.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:13 pm

I thought this was a good video, I like his opinion on this.

https://youtu.be/Dxb2_4x1lSk

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:48 am

Here's an absolutely perfect story from Paul Dehner on the Burrow situation posted in The Athletic
CINCINNATI – I didn’t think we’d have to do this. But apparently we do. Over and over again.

The sports media has decided Joe Burrow not wanting to play for the Bengals and the franchise being the NFL equivalent of Guantanamo is the groupthink narrative of the season, so here we are. Trashing the Bengals hit a wild crescendo on Tuesday as everyone tore apart a set of interviews with Texas news stations ahead of Burrow receiving the Davey O’Brien Award.

Let’s start here. In 64 days the Bengals will select Joe Burrow with the No. 1 overall pick.

What will happen after that?

“I’d like to play football,” Burrow said in Texas. “So whoever takes me – I’m a ballplayer, I’m gonna play.”

He’ll play two-and-a-half hours away from his hometown in his home state.

“Going back home to Ohio,” Burrow also said this week to KTCK-AM. “It would be a lot of fun. It would.”

But, Joe, every national talk show in the country is suggesting you don’t want to play in what they’ve decided is some cross between Alcatraz and Rikers Island set against an infinite loop of the New Kids on the Block Christmas Album.

Is this true?

“We have no idea where that comes from,” his mother, Robin Burrow, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “It’s a story out there that someone has created that doesn’t have any substance – from our perspective at least.”

These are actual quotes from the actual parties involved in this narrative. They were actually said this week. Still waiting to see them plastered across the Internet.

Instead, the word “leverage” has entered the stratosphere.

I’ve never had the sense the Bengals are at all concerned about these conspiracy theories pushed across the 24/7 news cycle. They know what they know and they see these same quotes I’m showing you.

None of these narratives will matter when they select Burrow on April 23. Burrow will try to get in line to live the same life launched by the previous two Bengals quarterbacks who came before him.

Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton have some accomplishments in common:

Each won multiple AFC North titles (four total).
Each won early – winning the division in their third season, Dalton going to five consecutive playoffs.
They combined to make the postseason in seven of the 13 seasons in which they were healthy for at least 75 percent of games.
Each went to multiple Pro Bowls and played there on teams that had at least three teammates on the roster with them.
Each was in the MVP conversation during their best seasons and sadly neither got to play a full game in the postseason with those teams due to injury.
Each broke single-season franchise records of QBs who were previously league MVPs (Boomer Esiason, Kenny Anderson).
Last but certainly not least, each chose to sign contracts valued at over $100 million to stay in Cincinnati.
Send me to Guantanamo, please!

Are the Bengals perfect? Of course not. They are a flawed organization coming off the most significant staff overhaul in their history and suffering a string of ugly drafts and untimely injuries.

They’ve shifted from five straight playoff seasons to four straight losing seasons, most notably one tied for the worst in franchise history.

Let’s just say this, you could do much worse than that history.

The idea is crazy that any person in their right mind would pass up a path of all the previously mentioned desirable career traits in order to go back into the draft next year, pass up a season of making millions, push back a year of starting the clock toward a lucrative second deal and all this for a prospect who is already going to turn 24 this year.

And for those who think threatening not to play for the Bengals (which he hasn’t said or done) would keep the Bengals from selecting him or influence a trade, well, have you met Mike Brown? Such an act would probably make the pick more likely.

Many point out that Burrow hasn’t said he wants to go to Cincinnati. Well, the Bengals haven’t publicly said he will be their pick, only that they have to go through their process. Why would he profess his desire to play in Cincinnati if they haven’t done the same yet?

You know what you would say in that situation?

“I’d like to play football. So whoever takes me – I’m a ballplayer, I’m gonna play.”

Burrow isn’t crazy. The words he and his family have said that nobody is talking about confirm it.

Perhaps the system is unfair. We could discuss that. But contrary to what hot-take media want to be true, it doesn’t give Burrow leverage. He has none.

He has to suffer the consequences of following in the path of two quarterbacks who signed up for 17 years of making $200-plus million and regularly playing in the postseason. He can do it alongside A.J. Green, Tyler Boyd, Joe Mixon and Jonah Williams in a city in his home state dying to treat him like royalty and perhaps raise the bar to the next level just as he did at LSU.

Or, you know, he can sit at home. Maybe next year he’d end up in Detroit or Cleveland or Buffalo and dream of their six combined playoff appearances this century without a win.

Tough choices, man.

TheBurn

Post by TheBurn » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:02 am

wow... love it 🙌

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:34 am

That's a pretty good article puts things in prospective really quick. Personally I hate the 24hr media cycle now, I think it's only cause more problems, they literally are making up stories to fill time.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:04 am

To be fair, SoP has given the media plenty of grist for their mill over the years with his cheap ass ways...

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:08 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:04 am
To be fair, SoP has given the media plenty of grist for their mill over the years with his cheap ass ways...
He has but since he's bought out the remaining shares of the team he has been getting better. Still not where he should be but he's getting a little better.