Carson and TJs comments

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
skycruiser

Carson and TJs comments

Post by skycruiser » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:55 am

What do y’all make of the comments Carson made this week about bengals leadership not being committed to winning SB? He seems to forget after he left we went to the playoffs 8 straight years

skycruiser

Re: Carson and TJs comments

Post by skycruiser » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:55 am

Wait that came off as me supporting ownership in some way. I need a shower

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:52 am

skycruiser wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:55 am
Wait that came off as me supporting ownership in some way. I need a shower
Well that's nothing new...

And basically he's right. SoP will field the best team he can at the cheapest price. If that team does well....so be it. If it doesn't....well....he can live with that too.

That's the attitude that's permeated this team for about four decades now. And I don't expect it to change anytime in the forseeable future.

Most of us have held out hope that Pumpkin would be substantially different when the mantle of team owner fell to her. I no longer believe that. She and her husband have been involved in more and more of the everyday running of the team for some 20 years or so now and what's really changed?

Ryno saw his shadow and we're in for another couple of decades of poor management.

Exile

Post by Exile » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:27 am

I saw another take on Carson's comments that basically painted them as sour grapes and Carson making excuses for his own underachievement, pointing out his struggles after he left the Bengals, vs. the winning seasons and playoff appearances we had with Andy.

I don't know. I think people forget just how close the team was with Carson at the helm. I still firmly believe that if not for Kimo we would have at least contended strongly for a Super Bowl that year. And if Carson hadn't had to put so much into just coming back from that injury, what could that season have looked like? My point is, the team was right there, not sure how Carson can say that there's no commitment to winning. So much of winning a Super Bowl (or, let's be real, winning a single playoff game) comes down to so many large and small things going your way over the season and in specific games. If Carson doesn't go down, if Andy has a healthier supporting cast in some of those years, or if Andy himself wasn't injured, we could have a totally different narrative around the team. I don't expect anyone--fans, players, coaches, or ownership--to be happy with the results we've had over the years, but I think it's crazy not to acknowledge the difference between the team in the late 90s and early 2000s when we were never in any danger of being successful and where the team has been for most of the time that both Carson and Andy were our QB. Again, I'm not saying that we shouldn't want Mike and the front office and the coaches to do more, to make better decisions, to make changes, to get the team over the hump, but I also think this organization is a far cry from the hapless franchise we have been.

Anyway, interesting to see TJ defending the organization more and apparently working with Joe already to get him ready for the NFL (and, presumably, more specifically the Bengals). Maybe a little weird, especially with Jordan Palmer involved, given Carson's comments?

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:35 am

We already know what both Carson and TJ think of the organization. They weren't exactly shy about it. I don't know why it's suddenly being painted as a story now.

Nothing they said is anything we haven't all thought at some point.

Let's also keep in mind that neither of them know anything about the inner workings of the organization in the last decade. Mike is getting old and Katie is getting more involved whether for good or bad it's different.

The biggest red mark against this franchise now seems to be their thought process on free agency and trading. Again, it's nothing we don't all know. I think this offseason is going to tell us a lot about whether the franchise is going into same old same old mode or whether they will adapt at least a little bit to help the team win.

Last year was step number one - Marvin out. This year is step number two - Dalton out.

There's no new news here. We just have to sit back and hope like we do every year that this will be the year they see the light. Everybody knows there are things this franchise needs to address this offseason. All we can do is hope they address them.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:11 pm

I don't care about comments, I just want to win the super lottery and buy the Bengals!!!!! Then this would be our secret form of communication on what's going on with the team and advice on what we should do. You guys would know first and of course OSF would have a box at all games.

I'm sick and tired of soP and I'm not a huge fan of his kids. I want someone that really gives a shit about the Bengals in that office making decisions not based on money but common sense.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:50 pm

Dead on.

They're going to ruin Burrows career. They'll pick him number 1. Out of the other 6 draft picks one or 2 may be decent. Rest will be garbage as norm. Theyll sign 1 or 2 mid to lower free agents (ala, preston brown) and maybe a 2nd string olineman and they'll be finished and ready for the season. They will not win more than 6 games.

UNTIL mikey decides to add tier 1 free agents and build around burrow IT ALL is pointless to discuss and we've been discussin it for over 10 years now.

Rearranging the chairs on the titanic accomplishes nothing as we've all seen.

Capiche?
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:28 am

Joe Bananas wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:50 pm
Dead on.

They're going to ruin Burrows career. They'll pick him number 1. Out of the other 6 draft picks one or 2 may be decent. Rest will be garbage as norm. Theyll sign 1 or 2 mid to lower free agents (ala, preston brown) and maybe a 2nd string olineman and they'll be finished and ready for the season. They will not win more than 6 games.

UNTIL mikey decides to add tier 1 free agents and build around burrow IT ALL is pointless to discuss and we've been discussin it for over 10 years now.

Rearranging the chairs on the titanic accomplishes nothing as we've all seen.

Capiche?
I disagree with you on adding tier 1 free agents, sometimes that's good but honestly Washington did that for years and never really help them much. Realistically we all know teams are built and maintained thru good drafting. Until we start hitting home runs again in the draft we'll continue to struggle. We need to get more money into that scouting staff.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:39 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:28 am
I disagree with you on adding tier 1 free agents, sometimes that's good but honestly Washington did that for years and never really help them much. Realistically we all know teams are built and maintained thru good drafting. Until we start hitting home runs again in the draft we'll continue to struggle. We need to get more money into that scouting staff.

I'm somewhat in the middle. I don't advocate going out each off-season and breaking the bank adding 3-4 top tier Free Agents like the Redskins have tried to do. But if you know you need a starting caliber Right Tackle or Middle Linebacker etc... I see no problem going out and getting that one piece you so desperately need.

If that means signing the best player you can find in FA and paying top dollar to shore up that single most glaring weakness now and then....so be it.

You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs....

Exile

Post by Exile » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:32 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:39 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:28 am

I'm somewhat in the middle. I don't advocate going out each off-season and breaking the bank adding 3-4 top tier Free Agents like the Redskins have tried to do. But if you know you need a starting caliber Right Tackle or Middle Linebacker etc... I see no problem going out and getting that one piece you so desperately need.

If that means signing the best player you can find in FA and paying top dollar to shore up that single most glaring weakness now and then....so be it.

You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs....
Exactly. Targeted aggression in FA plus drafting better (more scouts!).