20 Bold Predictions for 2020

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Jmble

20 Bold Predictions for 2020

Post by Jmble » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:00 pm

Again, just looking for conversation topics...

This from Sheil Kapadia of The Athletic. Has covered the Eagles and the Seahawks for The Athletic and for ESPN.

I will start with number 3 for obvious reasons and then just list the rest... Some of these are major stretches. Some of them seem like common sense.

3. The Bengals make the playoffs
Don’t stop reading — at least let me make the case! They draft Joe Burrow with the first pick. Given his excellent pocket feel, outstanding mental processing and uncanny accuracy, he steps in and looks better than most rookie QBs do. The Bengals bring back A.J. Green and already have Tyler Boyd and Joe Mixon. They get 2019 first-round pick Jonah Williams, who was injured last season, back on the offensive line and make other upgrades there in the draft. Plus, Zac Taylor figures some things out in his second season as head coach. The offense is set up for success. And remember, the Bengals weren’t quite as bad as their 2-14 record indicated. They went 0-8 in one-possession games. If they win half of those, they’re 6-10 and a respectable team. So, did I convince you? No? OK, let’s just move on.

1. Tom Brady signs with the Raiders
2. The Vikings trade Stefon Diggs to the Raiders
3. See above
4. The Buccaneers sign Philip Rivers
5. Cam Newton lands in Los Angeles (Chargers)
6. The Packers trade for Odell Beckham Jr.
7. The Titans don't return to the playoffs
8. The Ravens win the Super Bowl
9. The Falcons are next year's version of the 49ers
10. The Bears trade for Nick Foles
11. The Patriots turn to Teddy Bridgewater
12. Jameis Winston doesn't find the market he's looking for
13. Byron Jones becomes the highest-paid CB in the NFL
14. The Texans trade for OJ Howard
15. Devin Singletary will win the rushing title
16. Courtland Sutton will lead the NFL in receiving yards.
17. Minkah Fitzpatrick wins Defensive Player of the Year
18. Washington produes a top five defense
19. The Cardinal produce a top five offense
20. Chris Jones has a Za'Darius Smith like impact for the Colts

Bengals1

Re: 20 Bold Predictions for 2020

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:43 pm

If the Bengals take Burrow and make some upgrades to the O-line as this article indicates I could see them winning 6-7 games next year and being in the mix for the post season in 2021.

Going from 2-14 to the play-offs in one season?......nah. :x

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:57 pm

niners were only slightly better last year.... 4-12.....

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:58 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:43 pm
If the Bengals take Burrow and make some upgrades to the O-line as this article indicates I could see them winning 6-7 games next year and being in the mix for the post season in 2021.

Going from 2-14 to the play-offs in one season?......nah. :x
2018 49ers - 4 -12
2019 49ers - 12-4 and Superbowl.

VERY doable. Defensive FA's will make the difference here. Rookies take too long. Find a couple of defensive difference makers at LB and CB and fortunes could quickly change. I think we will score points this year with Dalton or Burrow. But if we can't stop anyone.........
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:09 pm

orange_black wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:57 pm
niners were only slightly better last year.... 4-12.....
They're not going to solve both the O-line and linebacker issues in one off-season. :roll:

Exile

Post by Exile » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:38 am

I think it's totally possible for the Bengals to make the playoffs next year. There's more talent on the roster than you'd think for a 2-win team, and as noted a lot of our games last year were close (it's a game of inches). Not saying we're likely to make the playoffs, but I don't think it's a crazy prediction, either.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:49 am

Exile wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:38 am
I think it's totally possible for the Bengals to make the playoffs next year. There's more talent on the roster than you'd think for a 2-win team, and as noted a lot of our games last year were close (it's a game of inches). Not saying we're likely to make the playoffs, but I don't think it's a crazy prediction, either.
I agree they can turn it around think about how much cap space to little to no good. Green, Gleen, and Dre are three of highest paid players and add in your top 2 draft picks also did nothing to help the team mostly due to injury. This is set-up for quick turn-around for most teams but I am sure Bengals will find away to play like crap next year.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:13 pm

Really not a prediction but moreso a fact

Bengals have nearly 60 million in cap space

Hobson will write an article saying they're broke and dont expect any big signings other than their own. And that so much will be put away in rookie salaries, injuries, draft and others and if it would cost the bengals 25 bucks to shit they would have to puke cause all the money is gone.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Mag

Post by Mag » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:53 pm

I agree bringing in Burrow, resigning Green, and getting Jonah back will be significant upgrades. Still doubtful on this coaching staff. I watched the Hayes brothers (Marvin's former assistants) call a better game last night in the XFL, than any if Taylor's games.

The team MUST spend money and make at least one interesting signing that at least appears to improve the team. The team has all but lost the fan base. The fans need something to go with drafting Burrow.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:55 pm

Mag wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:53 pm
The team MUST spend money and make at least one interesting signing that at least appears to improve the team. The team has all but lost the fan base. The fans need something to go with drafting Burrow.
I agree. They don't need to make a huge splash in Free Agency ( that's not the Bengal way anyhow). They just need to sign one starting caliber player on the O- line and one at Linebacker.

Take Burrow #1 and take a LB or O-lineman in the second and just keep going til the drafts over.

It's really not that hard. Don't get distracted by former high ranking players at non- critical positions that have fallen. Don't look for " deals." Just draft solid players at positions of need like Linemen, Linebacker and Cornerback etc...

This is so easy even a Bungle coach could do it....