Bengals Related News & Notes

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
MeatHeadbengal

Re: Bengals Related News & Notes

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:46 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:40 pm
No thank you! No chance he would be happy being 4th WR. No chance any of the other 3 would be happy being 4th WR.
Odell Beckham comment on Joe Burrow’s IG post has fans buzzing
Chris Roling
Tue, June 14, 2022, 5:55 AM·1 min read

Here’s one that would have been impossible to predict — Cincinnati Bengals are buzzing about Odell Beckham Jr. after he left a comment on Joe Burrow’s Instagram post recently.

Burrow threw out a cryptic “My spidey sense is starting to tingle a bit” comment on his latest post. Interestingly, Beckham was one of the first people to comment on the post and simply said: “The one.”

Normally this would mean pretty much nothing. But Twitter ran with it for a few reasons. One, the LSU brotherhood both guys share (they also shared a moment after LSU’s title win under Burrow). Two, the fact Beckham is still a free agent after suffering an injury during the Super Bowl and potentially due to settle for a one-year, prove-it deal.

The Bengals don’t need Beckham, given the strength of their wideout corps. But it is admittedly pretty fun to think about, never mind the fact it’s cool big-name veterans could view Cincinnati as a destination to get a ring.
I'll add a giant HELL NO to this one. We have no drama, we bring this joker in and then we'll suddenly have drama.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:28 pm

Mike Petraglia @Trags
#Bengals have officially signed fourth-round OL Cordell Volson, meaning all six picks are under contract.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:26 pm

Ian Rapoportt @RapSheet
Sources: The #Steelers and star Safety Minkah Fitzpatrick reach an agreement on a 4-year deal worth $18.4M a year. A huge pay day.

Paul Dehner Jr.
@pauldehnerjr
This, obviously, has direct Jessie Bates ramifications. Curious to see what the total numbers/structure/guarantees end up being, but really hard to imagine any world where the Bengals would go there at this point (which is precisely how it got to this point).

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:50 pm

Yeah not happening at this point. No way no how with burrow set to demand 60M in a couple years

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:08 pm

Willie Lutz @willie_lutz
I’m convinced UDFA Ben Brown will knock either Hakeem Adeniji or Trey Hill off the roster.
By all accounts, he’s been massively impressive to the #Bengals staff.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:51 pm

skycruiser wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:50 pm
Yeah not happening at this point. No way no how with burrow set to demand 60M in a couple years
I don't want to scare you but Tee Higgens has the same agent. :shock:

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:48 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:08 pm
Willie Lutz @willie_lutz
I’m convinced UDFA Ben Brown will knock either Hakeem Adeniji or Trey Hill off the roster.
By all accounts, he’s been massively impressive to the #Bengals staff.
Didn't know the name so looked him up.

The Cincinnati Bengals addressed the offensive line once during the 2022 NFL draft in what was otherwise a defensive-minded class for the team.

But that only seemed to guarantee the Bengals would go after the unit again once undrafted free agency started. Sure enough, one of the first names reported to the Bengals was Ole Miss G/C Ben Brown.

Brown, 6’5″ and 312 pounds, was commonly projected as a fifth or sixth-round pick but a biceps injury that cost him half of 2021 potentially played a role in his falling out of the draft.

Either way, as NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein broke down, he’s got some traits the Bengals will really like:

“Backup-caliber prospect with good size and two-position roster flexibility. Brown plays with a firm anchor against face-up rushers and uses his length and strength effectively to redirect rushers who find his edge. However, he lacks the foot quickness to recover quickly against twists or sudden, backside blitzers. Brown can neutralize average players at the point of attack, but he doesn’t improve his positioning often enough and lacks the skill to consistently hold his own against above-average defenders.”

Brown will get to come in and compete with the likes of Trey Hill and Hakeem Adeniji for a final roster spot at an interior position. Based on what evaluators see, there’s a good chance he can make the 53 — and the fact he chose the Bengals out of all teams says he knows it, too.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:32 pm

Interesting....

49ers Wanted Cam Taylor-Britt Before Bengals Traded Up in 2022 NFL Draft
Cincinnati moved up from pick No. 63 to No. 60 to take Taylor-Britt.
JAMES RAPIEN JUN 18, 2022

CINCINNATI — The Bengals traded up in the 2022 NFL Draft to select Nebraska cornerback Cam Taylor-Britt with the 60th overall pick.

They love his athleticism, energy and think he can be a big part of their secondary this season and beyond.

Cincinnati wasn't the only team that had Taylor-Britt in their sights. San Francisco was also hoping to land the 22-year-old with the 61st overall pick according to Kyle Posey of Niners Nation.

John Lynch's recent comments about the second round line up with Posey's report.

"We stayed pat because there were players there that we liked at every pick," Lynch said. "That’s a cool thing when a plan comes together. There were some fun moments in the draft. And some not so fun. Like a player we really wanted and someone jumped us. That happens in every draft."

The Bengals gave up their sixth-round pick (209th overall) in a trade with the Bills to land Taylor-Britt.

That was somebody we identified that we wanted," head coach Zac Taylor said on draft night. "And we didn't want to risk there with maybe a team or two in front of us that could take him."

Taylor and the Bengals were right. They were aggressive and got their guy.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:29 pm

It took some time but the Cincinnati Bengals have every draft pick under contract, meaning now is a great time to step back and look at the team’s cap situation.

After years of sticking around near the top of the league in terms of free cap space the Bengals…are still pretty high up the list.

According to the numbers at Spotrac, the Bengals boast the 11th-most cap space in the NFL right now at roughly $14.9 million.

An important note — that’s with franchise-tagged safety Jessie Bates checking in at roughly $12.9 million despite the fact he hasn’t technically signed the tag yet. He will, barring an extension before the July 15 deadline. Also worth noting — an extension wouldn’t impact this year’s cap number that much, if any.

Anyway, this sort of cap space suggests the team could probably add a veteran free agent to the mix. Bengals players have kept Larry Ogunjobi’s number available, for example. They could also perhaps take on some cash in a trade.

The Bengals do like to roll over some cap to the next season and will need to keep some space clear for eventual injuries and general housekeeping, but there’s some wiggle room there if they want to add to the roster soon.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:32 pm

Well he sure didn't earn the money he was paid last 3 years. Also no chance could play another 7 years. :roll:

Former Minnesota Vikings first-round draft pick Trae Waynes has unofficially retired from playing football.

What does that even mean?

Well, he isn’t officially closing the door on playing again someday if the right opportunity presents itself, but as of right now, the 29-year-old cornerback is shifting his focus to life beyond the gridiron.

“I mean it’s open, but I’m not really exploring anything to be honest with you,” Waynes said, during an appearance on the Geary & Stein Sports Show. “Multiple teams have actually called, but in my head, I’m done. I’m not officially doing it, I’d say, just because I don’t do that [expletive]. I’m retired, but it’s not like I announced it or anything.
- ADVERTISEMENT -

Things never quite panned out the way the Vikings hoped when they spent the No. 11 overall pick of the 2015 NFL draft on Waynes.

Granted, things went well enough for the team to pick up his fifth-year option, which has been rare in recent years for the Vikings. However, the two sides never agreed on a long-term extension.

Waynes simply played out his contract and signed a three-year deal with the Cincinnati Bengals in 2020. His final year with the team was hampered by a hamstring injury before he was ultimately released in March 2022.

Since that release, all has been quiet on the Waynes front—until now.

“Could I easily keep playing seven more years? Yes. But I’ve got a family,” said Waynes. “I want to be around with my kids more, and with all of the stuff happening with these former players, it kind of makes you nervous. For me, I want to look out for myself and my physical and mental health.”

There’s obviously more to life than just playing football, and Waynes has the right to hang up his cleats for the sake of his health. People are going to judge his career whether he stays or goes.

For Waynes, however, the critics are only part of the journey, but he still has a full life left to live.