Bengals Related News & Notes

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Re: Bengals Related News & Notes

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:28 am

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:22 am

The only way they don't draft Burrow is the offer is too good to turn down and trade out of the one spot.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:44 am

4256 Hits wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:22 am
The only way they don't draft Burrow is the offer is too good to turn down and trade out of the one spot.
They clearly need a new QB, the team has admitted as much. So any trade scenarios they might entertain would have to give them a chance at drafting Tua or the guy from Oregon.

They're taking a BIG chance trading out of the top 5....

Exile

Post by Exile » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:32 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:44 am
4256 Hits wrote:
They clearly need a new QB, the team has admitted as much. So any trade scenarios they might entertain would have to give them a chance at drafting Tua or the guy from Oregon.

Assuming they're moving on from Andy--and they are--I totally agree. Justin Herbert (QB - Oregon) and Tua both have huge question marks in my mind. While I think either one of them could be decent NFL starters, I also think they have high potential to be busts. Herbert seemed to have his worst games when the stage was big and the pressure was on. Besides clear injury concerns with Tua, I didn't think he looked very good against the best competition he faced the last couple years (while padding his stats against JV teams during the season). They could prove me wrong, and it's not that JoeB is can't-miss, but he seems like about as close as you can get. Not only did he have what's arguably the best season for a college QB ever, I think it's a big plus that he's a little older (23) and more mature, that he's played in two elite programs and had to adapt to those environments, I think that should set him up well to transition again as well as having a lot of experience to draw from. If you're looking for a starting QB in the draft this year, I think it's likely that the upside of Burrow vs the other options is greater than the value of the additional pick.

I still agree with stripes that we need to build around any QB and not put it all on his shoulders, but I'm more and more convinced that Burrow is the right guy.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:01 pm

Exile wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:32 am
I still agree with stripes that we need to build around any QB and not put it all on his shoulders, but I'm more and more convinced that Burrow is the right guy.
Stripes is hardly the only one who feels we need to do more than just draft a new QB, he's just the most annoying.

Meat....Jmble....O_B.....all of us firmly in the draft Burrow camp, none of us think all we need to do is draft him and then wipe our hands and go, "Well...thats over with."

We all understand the O-line needs at least one or more new starters and the linebacking in Cincy is a dumpster fire.

I've said all along you can't fix every issue on this team in one off-season. But you can make a considerable dent if you try hard.

Let's see how hard they try. Starting with Free Agency.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:25 pm

Exile wrote:
Bengals1 wrote:
4256 Hits wrote:

Assuming they're moving on from Andy--and they are--I totally agree. Justin Herbert (QB - Oregon) and Tua both have huge question marks in my mind. While I think either one of them could be decent NFL starters, I also think they have high potential to be busts. Herbert seemed to have his worst games when the stage was big and the pressure was on. Besides clear injury concerns with Tua, I didn't think he looked very good against the best competition he faced the last couple years (while padding his stats against JV teams during the season). They could prove me wrong, and it's not that JoeB is can't-miss, but he seems like about as close as you can get. Not only did he have what's arguably the best season for a college QB ever, I think it's a big plus that he's a little older (23) and more mature, that he's played in two elite programs and had to adapt to those environments, I think that should set him up well to transition again as well as having a lot of experience to draw from. If you're looking for a starting QB in the draft this year, I think it's likely that the upside of Burrow vs the other options is greater than the value of the additional pick.

There's a lot to think about when we are talking about trading, and I'm sure Miami might actually throw 3 first rounders at us, but here's what I see when I watch more of Joe Burrow;

1.) Toughness, this isn't something that can be over looked. He got hit hard in a few games and I mean hit hard, he popped right up and then the very next play or a few plays later he's running and spitting and fighting for yards (Doing it smartly and avoiding other but hits). This just tells me "Hey bring it boys I'll be here all day" kind of mentality.

2.) Winning over a locker room like he did in LSU, think about it guys he's coming from THE Ohio State U, going to LSU where there is absolutely NO love. You don't think there were guys in that locker room that wanted him to fail just to prove the superiority? Yet you look at their football program and he's front and center, he's got something that others don't. Keep in mind when the big decision was being made in spring at OSU he wasn't on the field with an injury, and I think if he wasn't he would have been starting over Haskins!

3.) Not afraid to throw the ball into coverage, he made a statement that "if the DB isn't looking for the ball, my guy is open". That is the kind of mentality you have to have in the NFL, you have to throw in super tight windows and when DB's aren't looking. I think he will need to work on his ball placement a bit more in the NFL but he's got the right mindset.

4.) Like the article above said the ball doesn't hit the ground much, he's a coaches son, he's from Ohio, he's not a sure thing but are close as you're going to get.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but I'll be honest I haven't been this excited about being a Bengals fan since that playoff loss the the Steelers... I lost my way for sure but if we draft this kid I'm back!

Mag

Post by Mag » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:33 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:25 pm
Exile wrote:
Bengals1 wrote:

There's a lot to think about when we are talking about trading, and I'm sure Miami might actually throw 3 first rounders at us, but here's what I see when I watch more of Joe Burrow;

1.) Toughness, this isn't something that can be over looked. He got hit hard in a few games and I mean hit hard, he popped right up and then the very next play or a few plays later he's running and spitting and fighting for yards (Doing it smartly and avoiding other but hits). This just tells me "Hey bring it boys I'll be here all day" kind of mentality.

2.) Winning over a locker room like he did in LSU, think about it guys he's coming from THE Ohio State U, going to LSU where there is absolutely NO love. You don't think there were guys in that locker room that wanted him to fail just to prove the superiority? Yet you look at their football program and he's front and center, he's got something that others don't. Keep in mind when the big decision was being made in spring at OSU he wasn't on the field with an injury, and I think if he wasn't he would have been starting over Haskins!

3.) Not afraid to throw the ball into coverage, he made a statement that "if the DB isn't looking for the ball, my guy is open". That is the kind of mentality you have to have in the NFL, you have to throw in super tight windows and when DB's aren't looking. I think he will need to work on his ball placement a bit more in the NFL but he's got the right mindset.

4.) Like the article above said the ball doesn't hit the ground much, he's a coaches son, he's from Ohio, he's not a sure thing but are close as you're going to get.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but I'll be honest I haven't been this excited about being a Bengals fan since that playoff loss the the Steelers... I lost my way for sure but if we draft this kid I'm back!
This may be a due to a combination of these points, but the kid has the kind of swagger this team has not had at QB since Boomer. While Carson and Andy were good, they were both somewhat chill guys. The talent to be great was there, but they didn't seem to expect greatness from themselves or the people around them. Burrow has that expectation of greatness. He plays his best against the best in the biggest games. No game is less winnable than any other. This team desperately needs that.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:55 am

Exile

Post by Exile » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:22 am

That says a lot about the kid right there. Sounds like he might even relish the challenge of coming in and turning things around rather than coming into a "perfect" situation.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:13 pm

Here's why Cinci isn't that bad a a choice, out of all AFC teams, only 5 have more playoff appearances then the Bengals; Pats, KC, Texans, Squeelers, Ravens. That's it, everyone else is just as many or less.