And with the first pick of the 2020 NFL Draft...

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Re: And with the first pick of the 2020 NFL Draft...

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:50 am

In 1992 with Boomer Esiason still on the team SoP took Houston QB David Klingler with the 6th pick in the draft.

When asked why he took Klingler with a Super Bowl QB already on the roster he replied, "My dad always said if you get a chance at a franchise QB ... you take him."

So the pick will be Burrows, bet your bottom dollar on it... (And it should be)

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:38 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:50 am
In 1992 with Boomer Esiason still on the team SoP took Houston QB David Klingler with the 6th pick in the draft.

When asked why he took Klingler with a Super Bowl QB already on the roster he replied, "My dad always said if you get a chance at a franchise QB ... you take him."

Burrow, he's not plural.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:20 pm

Burrow is not a lock....at all. Just look no further than Ryan Freaking Tannehill who just knocked off the Patriots....in the playoffs....in Foxboro.....with a near perfect game. If you think for even a split second that Tannehill is a better QB than Dalton you need to hang up cleats and turn in your fan card. Its the TEAM. Its who you surround Andy with. There is no need to waste a pick on Burrow when you can gain enough picks to load the roster or trade them away for big name FAs.

I think my final position on this is draft Burrow and you go full tilt into a 2-3 year rebuild with no guarantees. Keep Andy and load in new weapons we have our best chance to win now.
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:04 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:50 am

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:17 am

stripesincarolina wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:20 pm
Burrow is not a lock....at all. Just look no further than Ryan Freaking Tannehill who just knocked off the Patriots....in the playoffs....in Foxboro.....with a near perfect game. If you think for even a split second that Tannehill is a better QB than Dalton you need to hang up cleats and turn in your fan card. Its the TEAM. Its who you surround Andy with. There is no need to waste a pick on Burrow when you can gain enough picks to load the roster or trade them away for big name FAs.

I think my final position on this is draft Burrow and you go full tilt into a 2-3 year rebuild with no guarantees. Keep Andy and load in new weapons we have our best chance to win now.
I've never been against Dalton, if you look at his numbers when he's given time, he's really really good. Like top 5 QB good. On our last run when we went 7-0 before Dalton hurt his thumb he was in the Top 3 stats. He's not the biggest problem, but however knowing what I know of the Bengals and how they've always kind of done things I see us taking Burrow.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:49 pm

Example # 2.....Kirk Cousins. It's the team. Kirk sucks. The team does just enough to make him look good.

I say load the team up first. Burrow wont be any more successful than Andy if he is face down in the dirt and throwing INTs.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:01 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:49 pm
I say load the team up first. Burrow wont be any more successful than Andy if he is face down in the dirt and throwing INTs.
I don't completely disagree but you just can't pass up a franchise QB when he's literally sitting there for the taking.

They need to show they can draft a new QB AND build an O-line to protect him. They need to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time...

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:01 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:01 pm
stripesincarolina wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:49 pm
I don't completely disagree but you just can't pass up a franchise QB when he's literally sitting there for the taking.

They need to show they can draft a new QB AND build an O-line to protect him. They need to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time...
They would actually have to hire a staff large enough to be able to do two things at the same time.

I would 100% be on board with drafting Burrow if they did 4 things successfully:

1) trade Dalton for at least a 3rd and something else. Two picks minimum.
2) find a FA starter, and I mean a good one, at either LB or RT.
3) Draft BPA LB, CB or WR and OG in that order assuming #2 is satisfied.
4) Make a decision about WR that solves the problem of AJ and Ross. Neither one can stay on the field. Keep the healthier of the two and draft a WR high if you have to. Trading either of them may bring additional picks. Dont ever mention anyone with the initials AB on this.board.

If Burrow is the second coming of Patrick Mahomes, then lets make sure he has a badass line to protect him.

Then again, you trade the 1 pick and draft a top LB/CB and OG and go win a Superbowl next season with Dalton and a healthy lineup. Ugh! This is truly an argument between winning now and a 3-5 year plan.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:53 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:01 pm
Then again, you trade the 1 pick and draft a top LB/CB and OG and go win a Superbowl next season with Dalton and a healthy lineup. Ugh! This is truly an argument between winning now and a 3-5 year plan.
No...no....no...and no. Just in case that wasn't clear...NO!

Give Dalton a decent O-line and a defense and he might lead you to the play- offs. Where they'll lose...again. Just like the other five times he led us to the post season.

Why would it be any different the next time?

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the very definition of insanity.

Time to go in a different direction. Past time actually.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:08 pm

Wow, if you are holding Dalton solely, or even primarily responsible for any of those playoff losses you have a short memory. Hell, he even got you to the postseason and then didnt even get to play. McCarrron had it won against Pitt until Pacman and Burfict decided to create the NFLs first shortage of penalty flags during a game.

Andy IS the reason you got to 5 post seasons. And in a division that at the time was very, very solid.

I'd still trade him, but I want my conditions met.