Draft Talk - Cuz it's never too early...

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Re: Draft Talk - Cuz it's never too early...

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:15 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:55 pm
..., it's a deep Tackle draft we can get a good one in the second.
I understand what you're saying and you're not alone. A lot of draftnicks are saying that too. But how many times have we targeted a pass-catching TE in the past only to see them all get taken before we could get one...?

As a result, we went years without a true red zone threat out of that position.

It was just two years ago we had another O-linemen in mind when the one we targeted was taken in front of us and Zac panicked and took "Junior" Samples instead. :roll:

The draft is a crap shoot, it always is. If Penile is there at #5 we should count our blessings and send up the card. Don't over think it.

Besides....it's a deep draft for Wide Receivers too they say....

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:26 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:15 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:55 pm
..., it's a deep Tackle draft we can get a good one in the second.
The draft is a crap shoot, it always is. If Penile is there at #5 we should count our blessings and send up the card. Don't over think it.
My board is a little different from yours and that's fine, I value Chase over Swallows, so if he's there at 5 I take him and get a tackle in the second. Doesn't make you wrong and it doesn't make me wrong just values are different.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:47 am

Agree with meat here...we can get 2 starting Guards in later rounds. Give me more firepower on O

Still wish there was a killer DE at the top of the draft...

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:09 am

If Penile is there at 5 and they don't take him they'll (and us) will live to regret it....

Mag

Post by Mag » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:25 am

Sewell, may have great potential, but the fact is he hasn't blocked anyone in over a year. When he did, it was in a system that's as far as one can get from a pro system, going against some of the worst competition in college football. While Chase has also been away from football as Sewell, when he did play, he dominated against the best competition in college football in a pro scheme. Adding to that, he has immediate chemistry with Joe.

The OTs potentially available in rd 2 are Leatherwood, Eichenburg, and Cosmi. All played last season, all played better competition than Sewell. Furthermore, we have 2 good starting OTs. Borrow will be fine at the edges.

Lastly, Borrow got hurt because his guards suck. Sewell is not a guard.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:29 am

Mag wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:25 am
Lastly, Borrow got hurt because his guards suck. Sewell is not a guard.
Reiff's on a one year contract don't forget. The plan would be to move Penile to Guard for a season next to Reiff and then have him take over the Tackle spot in 2022.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:11 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:09 am
If Penile is there at 5 and they don't take him they'll (and us) will live to regret it....
I understand where you're coming from, and there are lots of ppl that agree with you, BUT there are other opinions out there and to not be like Old Meathead and it's either your way or the highway Chase is a great player and could be even better here because we have the established relationship already.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:28 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:11 am
Bengals1 wrote:
I understand where you're coming from, and there are lots of ppl that agree with you, BUT there are other opinions out there and to not be like Old Meathead and it's either your way or the highway Chase is a great player and could be even better here because we have the established relationship already.
If they draft Chase and then got Leatherwood in the 2nd I'm sure I wouldn't go on a three state killing spree or anything....

Probably.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:37 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:28 am
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:11 am
Bengals1 wrote:
If they draft Chase and then got Leatherwood in the 2nd I'm sure I wouldn't go on a three state killing spree or anything....

Probably.
LOL, I can honestly say Old Meathead would never threaten going on any kind of killing spree haha...

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:59 pm

I guess if I really search my feelings I'd have to say that I just don't trust the Bengals to not screw this up somehow. If they were a savvy scouting department and drafting team I probably wouldn't be so worried, but this is the Bengals we're talking about... they're going to screw it up somehow I just know it.

You watch, if they pass on Penile at 5 expecting a group of good offensive lineman to still be there in the second round something stupid will happen, it always does. They'll be a run of offensive lineman in the 20 to 30 pick area and suddenly in the second round instead of getting the second or third best offensive lineman they'll end up with the 8th or 9th.

Slater....Peckerwood...whoever they were targeting as the next best offensive lineman to take will be gone, you just know it's going to happen. It always does with us... :roll:

Don't over think it. If Swallow is there at #5 send up the card or something bad will occur, just watch. :roll:

Rory-Joe Daniels (@rjdanielsnfl)
Here's one for #Bengals fans. Someone has likely raised it before but by my rough reckoning...

% of current starting OTs in the NFL drafted in 1st round - 41%

% of current starting WRs (top 2 per team) drafted in 1st round - 29%
Last edited by Bengals1 on Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.