Re: 2020 Season - Will they play?

Post by Jmble » Wed May 13, 2020 9:54 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:48 am
Bengals1 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:43 am
This is going to be weird.... :?

[https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -for-2020/]
The show must go on! If those idiots out in Cali want to keep the state shutdown, then the NFL would be doing the right thing and moving those teams to play elsewhere, same applies for NY/NJ.
In all honesty if they are playing without fans the only people it will effect are the people directly involved. I'm not sure Rams or Chargers fans (what little there are of them) are going to give a crap what stadium they are playing in if nobody is able to go to games anyway.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Wed May 13, 2020 10:59 am

Move one to Columbus they would drawl a big crowd. How about the Rams play their games in St. Louis! :D

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri May 15, 2020 11:18 pm

Tyler Dragon (@TheTylerDragon)
The #Bengals are planning on reopening their facility next week. The team doesn’t have a set date, but they have started making preparations to reopen.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:08 pm

Bengals to open stadium offices on Wednesday...

[https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... wednesday/]

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:13 pm

Don't look now but here come the CV-19 spikes again. I am not debating why or how or political motivations, crazy media or whatever. Just a simple fact that if we continue to see spikes in cases over the next 4 weeks you can kiss a lot of things goodbye including back to school, college campuses opening, fall sports and in kind.....pro sports. This next month is critical to figuring out where we are headed this fall.

My youngest daughter is slated to start her freshman year at UNC Charlotte. They haven't even assigned student housing yet because they don't know how to address social distancing requirements. She is supposed to have online orientation next week instead of on campus orientation. They haven't even figured out what restaurants and food services on campus will look like.

Bottom line, I think everyone is going to be hard pressed to make all these decisions with so much uncertainty. And therefore I expect to majority to err on the side of caution and not spending money. Pro sports included.
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:33 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:13 pm
Don't look now but here come the CV-19 spikes again.

Bottom line, I think everyone is going to be hard pressed to make all these decisions with so much uncertainty. And therefore I expect to majority to err on the side of caution and not spending money. Pro sports included.
I think you'll find the following to be true pretty much all over the country...

[https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... icials-say]

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:17 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:33 pm
stripesincarolina wrote:

I think you'll find the following to be true pretty much all over the country...

We can't read that without subscribing to the LA Times B, but the headline is readable. I'm sure it's a combination of the two. Experts always knew that there would be another spike when the States started reopening. It was just natural. But this article is also correct. Testing is getting much more commonplace than it was which is also causing more cases to be diagnosed.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:53 am

I don't have a subscription to the Left Angeles Times and I can read the entire article. :?

Exile

Post by Exile » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:28 am

Jmble wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:17 am
Bengals1 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:33 pm
stripesincarolina wrote:

We can't read that without subscribing to the LA Times B, but the headline is readable. I'm sure it's a combination of the two. Experts always knew that there would be another spike when the States started reopening. It was just natural. But this article is also correct. Testing is getting much more commonplace than it was which is also causing more cases to be diagnosed.
Like you, I think it's both. Just speaking for what I'm seeing in Cleveland, as we've gone through a couple phases of reopenings, people have also gotten more and more lax about social distancing and masks. I won't be even a little surprised if cases spike, over and above what we see from increased testing.

Exile

Post by Exile » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:38 am

stripesincarolina wrote:
Don't look now but here come the CV-19 spikes again. I am not debating why or how or political motivations, crazy media or whatever. Just a simple fact that if we continue to see spikes in cases over the next 4 weeks you can kiss a lot of things goodbye including back to school, college campuses opening, fall sports and in kind.....pro sports. This next month is critical to figuring out where we are headed this fall.

My youngest daughter is slated to start her freshman year at UNC Charlotte. They haven't even assigned student housing yet because they don't know how to address social distancing requirements. She is supposed to have online orientation next week instead of on campus orientation. They haven't even figured out what restaurants and food services on campus will look like.

I've been back and forth on these issues, still not really sure where I fall.

I think colleges have huge incentives to get back to some kind of in-person classes. There's football and the revenue it generates, but there's also just the fact that college is way too expensive for anyone to feel good about paying that much for shitty Zoom classes. I would expect that schools that continue with all-online classes will have a lot of students take (at least) a semester off, if not transfer. And if that happens, it could be pretty disastrous for those schools' financial situation if they lose tuition revenue like that, then have to lay off faculty and staff. So as much as I think that a lot of these institutions are very risk-averse, I also think there are big forces pushes them beyond football fandom.

It seems very piecemeal right now, every school with its own planning, which might be good from the perspective of trying out lots of different approaches to see what works, but it's going to be a crazy landscape. I've heard of several schools that are renting out hotel rooms to space students out, schools are looking at having a hybrid system with some students on-campus while others are remote. From the football perspective, I could absolutely see some pushing forward with football, likely with reduced stadium capacity somewhere between half and zero, while other schools don't play at all.

As for the NFL, who knows? Not me.