2020 Season - Will they play?

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Jmble

Re: 2020 Season - Will they play?

Post by Jmble » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:05 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:22 am
Jmble's favorite President thinks they should start the season on time.... 8-)

[https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... t-on-time/]
Too far man! Too far! That's slanderism!

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:03 pm

Jmble wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:05 pm
Bengals1 wrote:

LOL, I'd wear that title with pride, I've never seen anyone make this many liberally go insane! It's actually fun watching these idiots get so mad over EVERYTHING!

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:38 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:03 pm
Jmble wrote:
Bengals1 wrote:

LOL, I'd wear that title with pride, I've never seen anyone make this many liberally go insane! It's actually fun watching these idiots get so mad over EVERYTHING!
Can't do it. I've been a Republican my whole life. Hell, I voted for W. TWICE. I just can't with this guy.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:11 pm

Jmble wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:38 am
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:03 pm
Jmble wrote:

Can't do it. I've been a Republican my whole life. Hell, I voted for W. TWICE. I just can't with this guy.
That's sad, with everything the fake news, and destructive Dem's have put him thru! I voted for Obama, I'll never vote for another Dem again after the last 3 years. Kavanaugh, and everything else they've lied about has only pulled this country further parts, but oh well you do you.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:22 pm

I'll only say this....and with all my soul I have to believe any Democrat would be saying the same thing about Bernie, Biden or Clinton......vote for the motives and not the man. I'm probably the most conservative whack job here and will absolutely vote for Trump again even though he is a pathetic, illiterate, narcessistic, womanizing attention whore who happens to embellish everything about everything. Scrape all of that aside with a D10 bulldozer and you have a guy that supports a business centric, America first platform. Thats why he will easily win re-election. It wont even be close. Its that simple.

I can overlook everything else because those that seek to cast stones in Congress are no better themselves. (Bring me shorter term limits please) So Trump earns the pass.

How did we get here?? Oh yeah, B1 stirred the pot as usual. I couldnt help myself, sorry. Back to football.
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:07 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:22 pm
How did we get here?? Oh yeah, B1 stirred the pot as usual. I couldnt help myself, sorry. Back to football.

You ferreted out my evil plot. :twisted:

However, I just wanted to tweak Jmble's nose - not start a political debate.

Like I've said many times before....if we had a Member's Only section again we could be arguing over Movies, Cars, Music and Women!! ;)

Exile

Post by Exile » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:58 am

Did you guys see this article from Sports Illustrated ("Bursting the Bubble: Why Sports Aren't Coming Back Soon")? Very pessimistic about sports coming back.

The basic assertions of the article are:

1) Regular sports with fans in the stadiums are unlikely in the next 12-18 months.
2) Playing in empty stadiums sounds good in theory but is "a lot harder to pull off in practice than most people appreciate."

Golf and tennis probably have the best chance of coming back sooner; football has the advantage of having time to prepare, but a lot of disadvantages in terms of the large number of people involved and the close contact between them.

I don't know. The fall just won't seem right without football.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:05 am

"pathetic, illiterate, narcessistic, womanizing attention whore"

You rang??

I once met an old man sitting on the porch drinking beer at 10 something one morning while I was reading meters years ago. I said you drinking already? He said I know, I've drank too much, chased to many women, closed alot of bars and been in jail over my years, but if I hadn't done all that I'd prolly been dead years ago.

He's my hero
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:44 am

The logistics of playing a full NFL season, even without fans, given the quarantining requiriments of players, coaches and staff, drivers, loaders, uniform washers, equipment handlers, security staff, television contractors, yada, yada, you get it, is simply overwhelming and IMO becoming less likely. One Covid case among any NFL players, coach, etc would shut the season down in a snap. I cant imagine the pressure building at all levels to figure this out and play. But I'm really starting to think the lift may be too great here.

I know the Nascar shops have reopened here in North Carolina to get ready for Darlington in 2 weeks. I think one positive case in Nascar would be the nail in the coffin for all other team sports for 2020. Keep in mind that NBA facilities are also starting to reopen in some areas for practice. We're about to find out if this is doable.
Seeking Superbowls

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:58 am

It's interesting to see baseball is working on a plan to play a 100 game season starting no later than July 2nd with 3 realigned divisions based on geographical location so that teams can still be close to home instead of being quarantined in Arizona. Teams would all play in their home stadiums with no crowd. Of course this is all based on mass testing being available.