2020 Season - Will they play?

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
stripesincarolina

2020 Season - Will they play?

Post by stripesincarolina » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:06 pm

It will be quite interesting to see how these decisions evolve over the next few weeks. First, I truly hope all you fine folks and your families are well. But we're all here for a reason and thats to get excited about the 2020 season.

Saw a note yesterday that said the draft will go on as planned. That is clearly the first major hurdle. If we see that delayed you can expect quick decisions on merging minicamp and training camps. And if this drags into early summer I think you will see some tough decisions being made for all sports......golf, NCAA, pro, Nascar, etc. Basketball and baseball will likely have already been scratched by early summer. So the question is very real.....will they play?

Father time doesnt stop for Coronavirus. So think about all the draft decisions and player moves that were made already that may become moot by 2021. Closer to home, AJ Green will be another year older, albeit healthier. Do you keep him? Tom Brady will be another year older. He just signed a 1 year deal. What do the Bucs do?

I know its just football for us. But man, there are tens of thousands of jobs on the line for companies that service the collegiate and pro sports business. Tough times. :(
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins

orange_black

Re: 2020 Season - Will they play?

Post by orange_black » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:43 pm

I've already been telling everyone....

based on our offseason moves thus far.... and our drafting of Joe B, the bengals are on pace to win the superbowl this year.

so that means the season WILL be cancelled.

... life of a bengals fan....

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:57 pm

NFL is planning for a full season with full stadiums...

[https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -stadiums/]

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:16 pm

Wimbledon was canceled today. Not postponed...canceled.

Makes you wonder if this is how the rest of 2020 is going to go sports-wise... :?

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:30 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:16 pm
Wimbledon was canceled today. Not postponed...canceled.

Makes you wonder if this is how the rest of 2020 is going to go sports-wise... :?
I don't think America can afford to have the NFL cancel, and they will do everything they possibly can to get back to normal by then. All signs are going to be we'll be back to normal before this, hence why the NFL is going forward with the Draft.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:17 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:30 pm
All signs are going to be we'll be back to normal before this, hence why the NFL is going forward with the Draft.
Except you can hold the draft with everyone sitting in a studio or at home.

You can't play a football game that way....

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:22 pm

More than five months until the first game of the season is scheduled. Based only on what is going on right now and not anything that could come in the future that nobody knows about right now, I'd say that baseball will be started by the beginning of June. Maybe without fans, but I think it will likely be started. This wave of the virus (nobody knows if there will be a second wave) should be under control by July if not before. I just don't see any way there is no football season based on what we currently know. It's easy to be pessimistic right now, but if you look at the facts as we know it with a clear head and not the disappointment we have all felt so far, and all of the projected curves for the disease, there is just no way to imagine this lasting into August more or less September.

Wimbledon is an International event. People come from all over the world for it. It's easy to see why they wouldn't want to risk it.

I think everything possible will be done to make sure there is an NFL season. I refuse to think otherwise at this point. Frankly I can't allow myself not to have something to look forward to or I may not make it through this crap.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:09 pm

The insensitivity of holding the draft while "possibly" a quarter of a million people are dying and the entire country is on lockdown will soon come to consideration. I really think everyone is focused on "how" do we do it instead of "should" we do it. They are going to delay the draft, cancel spring mini camps and move the draft to June. Its the only possible play they have right now where they can save face.
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:30 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:09 pm
The insensitivity of holding the draft while "possibly" a quarter of a million people are dying and the entire country is on lockdown will soon come to consideration. I really think everyone is focused on "how" do we do it instead of "should" we do it. They are going to delay the draft, cancel spring mini camps and move the draft to June. Its the only possible play they have right now where they can save face.
At some point you have to have some normalcy, I wouldn't go to call it insensitive. We are losing our minds over this virus, sure it's not a good situation but it's not the end of the world. The draft should go on as scheduled with rules and social distancing. Don't have players there and only one rep from each team to deliver the card. Nothing wrong with that, it will have the highest ratings because there's nothing else to compete against it.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:32 pm

There's also the argument that at a time like this when so many Americans are stuck at home and feeling depressed that the country needs a sense of normalicy.

You can conduct the draft with the Commissioner at home appearing via remote camera and each team drafting from their headquarters via remote cameras too.

The Mel Kiper's and Joe Theisman's etc... can do their analysis from a closed studio.

That's a lot different than a stadium filled with 50,000 fans + vendors and gameday personnel etc...