1-2-1 How good are we?

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Re: 1-2-1 How good are we?

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:08 pm

How is it I'm one of the older members here but I have a better memory of this organization than many of you younger posters...?

How many times have we needed a player at a certain position then suddenly at the end of the season in what amounts to garbage time, some player steps up (slightly) and the coaches tell us, "Oh...we don't need to panic at *insert position here* Smith/Jones/Harris etc....looked real good at the end of last season. I think we're fine there now." Then the next season starts and Smith/Jones/Harris whoever reverts back to being a D+ player and we're faced with the same old problem...?

It's happened before.

Now, could "Junior" Samples and/or Uzi step up and soldify the TE position this season. Sure, I mean Meat found a mate so miracles can happen. :lol:

I'm just not counting on it is all. Too much bad history in that regard....

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:52 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:08 pm
How is it I'm one of the older members here but I have a better memory of this organization than many of you younger posters...?

How many times have we needed a player at a certain position then suddenly at the end of the season in what amounts to garbage time, some player steps up (slightly) and the coaches tell us, "Oh...we don't need to panic at *insert position here* Smith/Jones/Harris etc....looked real good at the end of last season. I think we're fine there now." Then the next season starts and Smith/Jones/Harris whoever reverts back to being a D+ player and we're faced with the same old problem...?

It's happened before.

Now, could "Junior" Samples and/or Uzi step up and soldify the TE position this season. Sure, I mean Meat found a mate so miracles can happen. :lol:

I'm just not counting on it is all. Too much bad history in that regard....
We've all been following this team for a very long time O'negative1 and we all know the history. We also all know that this team has been much better in the 2000's and has put together some pretty darn good teams in that time frame. So let's be clear, the sky isn't falling we are rebuilding and making progress. It's important not to pass judgement on guys like Sample so quickly like you are. Sure some guys deserve the pink slip and we did go out this off-season and turn some heads with money spent. Now isn't the time to start complaining about the off-season and addressing things. We tried to address the RG spot with Sylo-feel-o or whatever the heck his name is.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:33 pm

I don't believe the sky is falling Meat. I merely believe it has more clouds in it than you do.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:03 am

the thread title is a little misleading. if you look at just the record, we suck. if you look at the full body of work and take the result out, there's alot to be happy about.

Had Randy "how is this dude that looks like we plucked him out of a dive bar in kentucky a professional athlete" Bullock made the kick for LAC, that likely would have been a W

and we should have put away philly

so if we were 3-1 what would the national media be saying? would we be top 15? probably

after the disasterous last few seasons i'm completely cool with this team being 7-9 or even 6-10. there's alot to be excited about.

this year is about building, next year is about having success and the 3rd year is about competing for a superbowl. we just dont have the roster and experience for it this year

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:25 am

skycruiser wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:03 am
so if we were 3-1 what would the national media be saying? would we be top 15? probably
Yes and if, if's and but's were candy and nuts every day would be Christmas. We didn't make that kick though against LA, we couldn't protect Burrow enough in Philly to win. So here we are in reality 1-2-1 which isn't great.

I agree with you though, if we can get to a respectable 6-10, 7-9 this year will be a success. Another off-season like we had this year filling some holes and we'd compete to get into the playoffs, with another year being a serious contender for the SB.

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:20 am

you guys are looking at the big pitcure too much.

do you think ANYBODY in that lockerroom is writing this off as a building year?

Do you think Burrow is waiting for his 3rd year?

These are guys are trying to win NOW..... and in my head, they have done tremendous.

I know... woulda shoulda coulda... i know.... you are what your record says you are.

BUT...

If AJ doesnt push off.... we beat the chargers in regulation. If stoopid Bullock doesnt fake an injury, we prolly win that game in OT.

If our defense could make just one last stop, we beat the browns in cleveland.

if we can just get a freaking field goal, we beat the eagles.

if we could just get one more TD, we would have killed the jags even MOAR!!!.

I keep saying it.... I think this team is quiety way better than any of us think. that twitter link i posted says alot.

in case any of you didnt get to click it.... somebody posted something about the entire AFC North being in the top 13 of the league for overall play according to PFF.

there i said it... change my mind...