Week 4 - Stoolers Week Disco and Game Thread

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
skycruiser

Re: Week 4 - Stoolers Week Disco and Game Thread

Post by skycruiser » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:17 am

I feel bad for Taylor. He’s working with next to nothing and might well lose the small fan base that’s left due to an atrocious squad he inherited from a shite coach and completely inept ownership group

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:17 am

skycruiser wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:17 am
I feel bad for Taylor. He’s working with next to nothing and might well lose the small fan base that’s left due to an atrocious squad he inherited from a shite coach and completely inept ownership group
I really don't think they have next to nothing. They just have the worse OL in the NFL and that just will kills any teams chances to be good. Obviously the LB are also a problem but the rest of the positions are NFL average or better. The team could be turned around quickly by fixing those to positions but with SoP in charge I don't see that happening.

Mag

Post by Mag » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:09 am

skycruiser wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:17 am
I don't. He knew what he had for a roster going in. This team had a bad OL last season. 3/4 of the OTs were UFAs and the last one Glenn was having issues staying healthy. What do they do? Prioritize Hart (one of the worst OTs in the league) and anoint him starter with zero competition. They draft one OT. One. That gave them 3 going into camp with the rest of the depth chart filled out with undrafted FAs. That's insane! Even if they did like Hart, you still need a 4th OT for competition and depth. There were nice prospects all through the second round. Instead we draft #3 TE who struggles to crack the lineup.

He also hired substandard coaches because he lacked the experience, background, and respect to draw better coaches. This inept staff lacks the ability to mitigate their talent deficiencies, or utilize the little talent in the roster to their best abilities. They're using outdated zone blitz concepts that few even use anymore, sending their best pass rushers or fattest (Billings) players into coverage and rushing their best DBs. It's asinine.

Mag

Post by Mag » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:23 am

Furthermore, good coaches know when they have to change things up to mitigate their talent deficiencies. The Steelers were struggling and had a new QB. Instead of using the same plays that they knew weren't going to work, they found other ways to get the ball to their playmakers. They used the wild cat.

Marvin and some of his better coaches at least did this. When they had OL issues, they used a 6th OL or put Peko at FB to jump start the running game. Zimmer had diddly poo of defensive talent and he took what he had and made something new that worked.

Taylor and his staff are force feeding the Rams offense and the Lebeau defense on a team that doesn't have the talent to pull either off.

We need coaches to build systems around the players that have rather than forcing them into one's that don't use them effectively. This gives us coaches that are innovators rather than copy cat artists.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:54 pm

Great posts Mag!

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:27 pm

I honestly believe that Dalton thought they had a chance to turn some things around headed into this week. I also honestly believe that Dalton must now be contemplating how the rest of his days will play out. I really thought Zac might have given Finley some snaps last night but in hindsight, he's not the type of guy to do that to Andy and he most likely believes this isn't Andy's fault (it isn't). But that being said, Andy's days have to be numbered. They will absolutely have to play Finley to see what they have going into next season. And Dalton has trade value, and I bet a lot of it. As we get later into the season I expect the trade rumors to fly as the Bungles go into a rebuilding mode like the Dolphins.

I'm not naive on Andy. I've blamed him for a lot, but it probably wasn't deserved given what he has battled over the years. I can easily see him going to another team next year and with a better Oline, making some big waves.

If we end up with a shit ton of early draft picks, and we will, a Dalton trade could add a few to the mix as well. If we leave Andy in there he will literally be dead by Wk 8. Time to run a simplified offense around the new kid.

If you are reading this B1,........suck a dancing banana! We will never admit that you were right all along. :twisted:
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:15 pm

a few things:
1. mag, put down the gun and have a beer.
2. this is NOT andy's fault. this oline is absolutely terrible... AND to top it off.. they played terrible last night. I can't remember how many times i saw Andy or Mixon get off the ground with obvious frustration.

this all goes back to ownership. In the NFL, things are set up to be able to turn around a team in a single off season. The fact that we have struggled so much for so long simply means that ownership is not doing the things necessary to win.

Now, you can debate whether this is due to lack of effort, or ineptitude.... I believe it is ineptitude.

one last comment.

I lived through the bengals of the 90s and early 2000s.... I dont think i ever felt as low as I did last night.

TheBurn

Post by TheBurn » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:32 pm

orange_black wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:15 pm
...last comment.

I lived through the bengals of the 90s and early 2000s.... I dont think i ever felt as low as I did last night.
this... so much this... :(

Mag

Post by Mag » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:20 pm

orange_black wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:15 pm
a few things:
1. mag, put down the gun and have a beer.
2. this is NOT andy's fault. this oline is absolutely terrible... AND to top it off.. they played terrible last night. I can't remember how many times i saw Andy or Mixon get off the ground with obvious frustration.

this all goes back to ownership. In the NFL, things are set up to be able to turn around a team in a single off season. The fact that we have struggled so much for so long simply means that ownership is not doing the things necessary to win.

Now, you can debate whether this is due to lack of effort, or ineptitude.... I believe it is ineptitude.

one last comment.

I have more beer than I know what to do with. No problem there. That's where the clarity of thought comes from.

I also agree with the final statement. That game was my lowest point as a fan since the 90s.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:08 pm

So from where I see things I blame 100% the coaching staff! Reasons;

1) They had to judge the talent and then go and lobby for something else with management. Coaches have the most pull during the honeymoon period he should have used it.

2) This team hasn't responded to this coach, honestly since week 2 about the half way thru the second quarter it appears they just quit playing. I don't see any passion and you can see it very apparently as a fan.

3) New system, lack of talent it doesn't matter players play for good coaches PERIOD FULL STOP! Look at Zimmer's teams he might not have the best talent but those guys fly around for that guy and if you can't see that you're lying to yourself.

Just my thoughts, Taylor isn't the answer here from what I've seen thru 4 weeks but he's got the rest of the season to prove me wrong.