UPDATED TITLE: We hired a DC

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Aceking
Site Admin

UPDATED TITLE: We hired a DC

Post by Aceking » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:40 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cincyj ... tball-2019

After some called it a done deal, Todd Grantham is staying at Florida.

TheBurn

Re: Another DC candidate turns us down

Post by TheBurn » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:55 am

starting to get a bit worried about this... wtf is goin on?

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:15 pm

TheBurn wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:55 am
starting to get a bit worried about this... wtf is goin on?
+1, I'm trying to give this guy the benefit of the doubt but I'm still not liking what's going on.

Aceking
Site Admin

Post by Aceking » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:57 pm

This is a really good breakdown of what happened with each candidate:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports ... 869026002/

What I found most noteworthy:

Del Rio:
Del Rio wanted the job and likely would have accepted if offered, according to sources, but Taylor’s call was that Del Rio, the former head coach of the Jaguars and Raiders, would not be the right fit for the position.
Grantham:
Grantham was concerned about the Bengals' aging defensive line and lack of linebackers. Geno Atkins, the Bengals' lone Pro Bowl selection this season, is 30. Defensive end Carlos Dunlap turns 30 later this month.
Grantham obviously has a job that allows him to be very choosey, but still interesting to hear it was not money, but the quality of our current roster that is a turn off.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:22 pm

I would like to see Marquand Manuel get a shot. I know they talked to him. The guy is smart, he's played in a Super Bowl, and he's coached in three Super Bowls, one of which he was on the winning team.

He took over as Defensive Coordinator in Atlanta in 2017. Atlanta finished third in the NFC in scoring defense that year giving up 19.7 ppg. They finished sixth in the NFC in total yards per game.

In 2018 they went way downhill, but they also lost starting LB Deion Jones in week one and starting Safety Keanu Neal in week one then they lost their other starting safety in week 2 for the season. Their top sacker Adrian Clayborn left at the end of 2017 to play in New England. They only gave up 18 points to the Eagles in week one and 24 to the Panthers in week 2 before it all went to Hell.

Manuel deserves another shot.

Mag

Post by Mag » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:36 pm

That Enquirer story paints a dire picture. So far, there hasn't been a single decision made by Taylor that gives me confidence.
Last edited by Mag on Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:13 pm

Take another one off the list.
Saints expected to block Bengals request to interview Aaron Glenn

It appears Saints secondary coach Aaron Glenn will not be the next defensive coordinator of the Cincinnati Bengals.

The Bengals want to interview Glenn for the opening on Zac Taylor’s staff, but Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Saints are not going to grant that permission. Teams can block such interviews for other assistant coaching positions at their discretion.

Glenn just finished his third year coaching the defensive backs in New Orleans. He has never been a coordinator at any level in the past.

The Bengals had previously spoken with University of Florida defensive coordinator Todd Grantham, but he elected to stay with the Gators after getting a salary bump. Longtime NFL coaches Jack Del Rio and Dom Capers also had their names in the mix before the Bengals moved on to Grantham.

There’s been word that Cincinnati has been granted permission to speak to Rams cornerbacks coach Aubrey Pleasant, who worked with Taylor in Los Angeles the last two years. Former Falcons defensive coordinator Marquand Manuel and Texas A&M defensive coordinator Mike Elko have also been mentioned as possible candidates for a job that’s been hard for the Bengals to fill.

Aceking
Site Admin

Post by Aceking » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:27 am

The #Bengals wanted to interview Ohio State defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley for their vacant DC job, sources tell @RapSheet. However, I’m told he’s not going to renege on his commitment to OSU after taking the job last month. So Cincy’s search continues.
That one seemed like a long shot

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:51 am

I'm seriously getting worried. The list of DC's is got to be short at this last point in the process. Not looking good, although I know of one guys that is an excellent DC still on the market.... ML for DC anyone. I'm all for it.

skycruiser

Re: Another DC candidate turns us down (and another)

Post by skycruiser » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:26 am

we're going to end up with bob bratkowski as our DC!