Bengals Related News & Notes

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Exile

Re: Bengals Related News & Notes

Post by Exile » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:54 pm

I read with interest Dehner's piece about who's "rising and falling" in Bengals camp. Here's the gist of it:

Rising:
Auden Tate: looking likely to be a starter, catching everything that comes his way and developing great chemistry with Joe B.
Alex Erikson: also making the most of his opportunity, likely backing up Boyd in the slot
Drew Sample: playing well in a receiving role, doing well blocking
Darius Phillips: leading the competition to be the 2nd CB, also potentially taking the slot corner. Versatile.
Jacques Patrick: who? XFL star competing to be a backup RB

Falling:
Trayveon Williams: Not a lot of opportunities, but has dropped the ball (literally) on the ones he's had (backup RB, if you didn't recognize the name)
Fred Johnson: Supposed to be challenging Bobby Hart for a starting job, but hasn't even looked that good against the 2nd team. Lord help us.
Jake Dolegala: sucks. Ryan Finley is definitely the backup QB.
Mackensie Alexander: even before missing time, he's had some struggles. Still likely the starting slot corner, but...
Winston Rose: CFL star, but struggling for consistency as he fights for a CB job.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:34 pm

I can say that there have been a few practice videos out there where you could watch Fred Johnson take his snaps and he looked absolutely horrible.

I think we will take a step in the right direction this year but depth will continue to be an issue.
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:40 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:34 pm
I can say that there have been a few practice videos out there where you could watch Fred Johnson take his snaps and he looked absolutely horrible.

I think we will take a step in the right direction this year but depth will continue to be an issue.
He's an UDFA that signed with Steelers out of Florida. They cut him and we signed him. I hate to think our coaches ever saw him as anything more than a camp body.... :?

Exile

Post by Exile » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:58 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:40 pm
stripesincarolina wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:34 pm

He's an UDFA that signed with Steelers out of Florida. They cut him and we signed him. I hate to think our coaches ever saw him as anything more than a camp body.... :?
Didn't he play (or even start?) for us late last season? When the line play was looking better? So I think there was legitimate hope that he could be more than a warm body, but so far, no good.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:29 pm

Exile wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:58 pm
Didn't he play (or even start?) for us late last season? When the line play was looking better? So I think there was legitimate hope that he could be more than a warm body, but so far, no good.
Did he...? I watched virtually none of last season. We gave up our subscription to the NFL Sunday Ticket when we moved.

The only Bengals game I actually remember watching last season was the Thursday night debacle against the Steelers. I think I tuned out before halftime... :|

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:07 am

Yes he played and started and was a big part of Mixons late season success. I should be clear, the videos I saw were pass blocking drills and he looked silly bad. Literally getting roasted with spin moves every play. He clearly is a better run blocker.
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:36 am

stripesincarolina wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:07 am
Yes he played and started and was a big part of Mixons late season success. I should be clear, the videos I saw were pass blocking drills and he looked silly bad. Literally getting roasted with spin moves every play. He clearly is a better run blocker.
Well then we better find his replacement. We didn't draft Burrow just so he can hand off.... :roll:

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:13 am

GMFB (@gmfb)
"He may be more equipped to lead an NFL team than any rookie QB we've seen enter the NFL in recent years. It's not just about the football; he's the total package on & off the field. I assure you, this will not be some 'babe in the woods' deal with @JoeyB." -@PSchrags I @Bengals

Btw: If you've never watched Good Morning Football on the NFL Network Kay Adams is a total babe! :twisted:

TheBurn

Post by TheBurn » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:21 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:13 am
...Kay Adams is a total babe! :twisted:
🔥

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:05 pm

B1 is all about that Megan Fox-ish mold. He's been known to have a cardboard cutout or two. Not sure how Mrs B1 feels about the inflatables he has stashed in the closet though.
Seeking Superbowls